How the heck do you guys torque a cylinder nut to 600 ft lb? Rebuilding Bobcat combo bucket cylinder.

/ How the heck do you guys torque a cylinder nut to 600 ft lb? Rebuilding Bobcat combo bucket cylinder. #11  
Who uses torque for unlubricated surfaces

/ How the heck do you guys torque a cylinder nut to 600 ft lb? Rebuilding Bobcat combo bucket cylinder. #12  
NO!!! We could also avoid a discussion about the anality of absolute torque values.
What? But what if the thing falls apart because it was off 1 ft lb in 600? :)

/ How the heck do you guys torque a cylinder nut to 600 ft lb? Rebuilding Bobcat combo bucket cylinder. #13  
If its just holding metal together that don't move I
would use a cheater bar! KISS is the answer!

now you could spend a heap of dough and buy a
torque wrench air power for the job but be careful
as you may get dizzy spinning when the TW gives
you a free spin.

In my very younger days was using a 1 inch drill and
the bit got stuck in the 1 inch metal plate and it gave
me a free spin until i released the trigger then I was
singing like elvis I'm all shook up!

willy

/ How the heck do you guys torque a cylinder nut to 600 ft lb? Rebuilding Bobcat combo bucket cylinder. #14  
150 lbs on a 4' bar. Really not that difficult if you have a 3/4 drive socket set.
This is an application where you don't have to be dead nuts accurate. RickB's method will be fine.

I needed to set the bearing preload on the steering head bearings on a motorcycle. This required a spanner wrench which I had, but no way to use a torque wrench with it. So, I measured from the centerline of the spanner 6" and ground a groove. This held the hook of my fish scale. A pull of 3 lbs on the fish scale yielded the required 18 inch pounds of torque.

A little ingenuity and math will get the job done in many cases.

/ How the heck do you guys torque a cylinder nut to 600 ft lb? Rebuilding Bobcat combo bucket cylinder. #15  
How big that cyl and rod?

/ How the heck do you guys torque a cylinder nut to 600 ft lb? Rebuilding Bobcat combo bucket cylinder. #16  
I am putting new seals in and apparently I need to get the bottom nut to 600 ft lb. I do not have that kind of torque wrench. How do most people achieve this? Thanks.
The bush hog nuts are "torqued" at 450 ft lb. I just use a guesstimated 80 # push on a 6 ft piece of pipe places over my 3/4 inch socket handle. A 600 ft lb value could be obtained with a 100 # estimated push. Don't think you have to be that accurate for these kinds of torques.

/ How the heck do you guys torque a cylinder nut to 600 ft lb? Rebuilding Bobcat combo bucket cylinder.
1.25 rod 2.5 bore. Thanks guys. Keep the ideas coming. I like the idea of maybe building something that I can put my torque wrench to. This way I can just use that in the future. I may be missing something, but then I don't have to stand on it. to stand on it, I have to position it in such a way. With the tool, I can bolt it to the bucket and just turn.

/ How the heck do you guys torque a cylinder nut to 600 ft lb? Rebuilding Bobcat combo bucket cylinder.
Well, I will have to do more homework. My manual for my bobcat s150 has 600 ft lb for the lift cylinder and only 100 for the plate tilt and 90 ft lb for the bobtach wedges. So.... I need to find the proper torque for the bobcat combo bucket. My guess is it is below 600.

/ How the heck do you guys torque a cylinder nut to 600 ft lb? Rebuilding Bobcat combo bucket cylinder. #19  
Who uses torque for unlubricated surfaces
Typical torque values are for clean dry (unlubricated) threads.

Only use lube if specified by the manual.

Oh, and by the way, thread locker acts as a lubricant. You should not have to use thread locker if you properly torque threaded fasteners (bolts, nuts, studs).

/ How the heck do you guys torque a cylinder nut to 600 ft lb? Rebuilding Bobcat combo bucket cylinder. #20  
IF you don't want to use a "torque" multiplier", One can always make a torque wrench extension....

51333508379_e7a7fedf1b_o.jpg

Example snatched from GOOGLE IMAGES (not my work)...

homemade-torque-wrench-extension-4.jpg

Suggest if you going to 600ft-lbs to go big on fabrication...

• Good Post
Reactions: JWR