How to bust a wheel motor

/ How to bust a wheel motor #1  

stray

Platinum Member
Tractor
Power-trac 422 2003 model and 428 January 2015 model
1. Build one large red bucket.

2. Pick out a worthy Job to be done.

3, Get you Dad or someone to do the hard work so you can drive the PT.

4. Now Fill that red bucket with all of the rocks the PT can ever hope to carry

5, Oh Yes! Be Sure to Have your wheels swapped to the wide position to add as much pressure on the motor as possible.

6. Now lift the load and try your dead level best to turn the PT around.
This should do it. If not use more weight so the bucket will only drag, then try to lift while turning. Good Luck

After this I will be Keeping my front wheels (at least while lifting and pushing) in the IN or PT recommended position.
Accept maybe when using the side mower.

Attachments

• DSCF3732.JPG
    DSCF3732.JPG
    758.9 KB · Views: 319
  • DSCF3722.JPG
    DSCF3722.JPG
    769.6 KB · Views: 281
  • DSCF3724.JPG
    DSCF3724.JPG
    765 KB · Views: 291
  • DSCF3723.JPG
    DSCF3723.JPG
    753.7 KB · Views: 299
  • DSCF3726.JPG
    DSCF3726.JPG
    756.9 KB · Views: 294
  • DSCF3733.JPG
    DSCF3733.JPG
    761.8 KB · Views: 297
  • side mower.jpg
    side mower.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 266
   / How to bust a wheel motor #2  
Sorry about the motor... Surprised it failed due to stress...

Tell me more about that side mower. You build it or did you find it somewhere?

/ How to bust a wheel motor #4  
That's one large bucket.....is that the oil tank bucket I've read about? I could use one that size around the barn! Bummer about the wheel motor! Looks like dad was having fun as the "laborer. I guess the PT people know what they are talking about when they state the tractor's limits. As Clint said in one of his movies....every tractor(errr, I mean man) has to know his limitations.

/ How to bust a wheel motor #5  
Ouch! Broke certainly means broken in that case... :( How much weight do you think you had in that big red bucket when it broke?

What really surprises me is that the shaft was hollow instead of solid. :eek: It certainly shows how the thin thrust bearing carries the full load also, instead of having tapered roller bearings like the larger wheel motors. :p

If those are the Whte RS 12.5ci motors, I should have some used ones in the next few days that I could give you, just a few miles down the road. My remaining newChar-Lynn's should be shipping any day. If nothing else, having one as a spare could be helpful. You've not gotten me thinking about the need to have a spare of these expensive special-order Char-Lynns...

Out of curiouslity, what's the smaller cylindrical piece shown at the bottom center of this picture than has a dimple in the end? :confused: It looks like it has been subjected to pretty extensive wear.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/attachments/power-trac/80713d1183782050-how-bust-wheel-motor-dscf3726.jpg

/ How to bust a wheel motor #6  
Seems like I read somewhere that reversing the wheels is a bad idea. Not sure. Maybe someone will chime in on this issue. ;)

Sorry about your motor.

You have a very nice place. I went to school in East TN (Carson Newman College). Loved it there. Should probably move back.

/ How to bust a wheel motor #7  
marrt said:
You have a very nice place. I went to school in East TN (Carson Newman College). Loved it there. Should probably move back.
When? I graduated from Carson-Newman in '78...

/ How to bust a wheel motor #8  
marrt said:
Seems like I read somewhere that reversing the wheels is a bad idea. Not sure. Maybe someone will chime in on this issue. ;)

Sorry about your motor.

I feel bad that someone had to experience a bad situation.

I have stated the facts about the wheel motors many times. There is not much more one can say. Those that go the reversed wheel route, can expect problems to occur, it's kind of logical. Sure it might look better, and maybe give a small margin of safety, but common sense should prevail. There just might be more people that have replaced their wheel motors, but did not post anything about it. I predict more failures, especially when lifting heavy loads and moving around on rough ground.

/ How to bust a wheel motor #9  
I graduated CNC in '86. Good School. Good People. I own almost 400 acres between Knoxville and Nashville (Jamestown). Every day I think about moving back. :)

/ How to bust a wheel motor
Farmall: Yes, the bucket was made of an oil tank. Some have thought it to be a BBQ grill. LOL Here is the link to the Bucket. Large Bucket Container. - TractorByNet.com

Kent: I probably had over 1200 lbs in the bucket. After I installed the new wheel motor I loaded half of the rocks out of the red bucket into the OEM PT bucket and that was still a good load.
If we can ever get together we will haft to do some trading. A good used wheel motor should be worth a Quick Plate? I'm anxious to here how your new wheel motors perform. What cubit inch are they?
I'm not sure what the small piece is but it slid into the hollow shaft and it looks as if oil pressure flows around it into a small hole that runs form the inside to the outside of the shaft, providing oil pressure to a sliding surface.

marrt: Thanks Mart. Looks like JJ chimed in.

J J: Thanks JJ. Other people may have broken wheel motors but lets just go with the data we have. I still plan to reverse wheels when I side mow and mow banks. I've done a lot of hard work and lifting with the wheels reversed. I think now we just have some kind of record of what they can and can't take.