How to change loader joystick cable - M5040 cab

/ How to change loader joystick cable - M5040 cab #1  

beemerphile

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota M5040
Any ideas? I need to change one of the cables and I can't figure out how to get the upper end of the cable out and the new cable in. I have it disconnected at the loader valve.I have the joystick off and can remove the square metal block that the two cables and joystick screw into, but I can't see how to get the cable free of the upper block. My workshop manual does not seem to cover attachments. Any ideas appreciated.

/ How to change loader joystick cable - M5040 cab
Well, I figured it out on my own. Just in case someone comes here looking for an answer to the same problem...

1) Remove the joystick handle (and wires if you have a 3rd function valve)
2) Remove the mount from the tractor, and then the block holding the cables from the mount.
3) Remove the stationary ball end (an Allen screw secures it from below). It requires a thin 12mm wrench to hold the ball end from turning. Pull the cable ends up and remove the three-way connector plate (joystick mount).
4) Disconnect the cables from the loader hydraulic valve.
5) Unscrew the upper threaded cable end of the cable you wish to remove from the block (the entire cable will have to spin for this to happen).
6) Remove the locking nut from cable to be changed and draw it out from the bottom.
7) Remove the two adjusting nuts from the replacement cable and feed it through from the bottom.
8) The remainder is fairly obvious. Lock the joystick in the neutral position before attaching and adjusting the cables to the loader valve.

/ How to change loader joystick cable - M5040 cab #3  
Good that you posted the answer - I looked at KTC's parts diagram for the LA1153 loader but it has just a drawing with no detail of the cable connection at the controller. Joystick push-pull control cables are far from a standardized product - they'll become a maintenance issue as today's cab tractors get older. Was a new cable readily available form the dealer?

/ How to change loader joystick cable - M5040 cab #4  
Thanks I had to add some grease the other day to the dump actuator under the ball. It would not slide freely in the cylinder and the loader developed auto dump auto return with no self canceling. I thought at first it might be a cable and then wondered how one goes about even looking at it

/ How to change loader joystick cable - M5040 cab #5  
Did you take any pictures they would be a big help

/ How to change loader joystick cable - M5040 cab #6  
I too went to the workshop manual when my lift cable broke and found the manual doesn't cover the loader or any associated controls. The first time I changed it took some time figuring out the right tools and procedure but by the third it was pretty easy. I think I have pictures somewhere and I'll attach them to this thread if I can find them. I didn't break the cable 3 times - only once so far but it didn't appear broken the first time I took it out so I reinstalled, determined where it was broken, then had to put it back together so I could use the tractor because it took 2 weeks to get a new cable.