How to convince parents that a subcompact is a good idea

/ How to convince parents that a subcompact is a good idea #12  
wotandbuy - Welcome to the TBN forum

i have so much to say, but i will try to be brief (you can send me a private message anytime).

1) you are a remarkable young man, and remind me a lot of my Son In Law who is about 5 yrs older than you.
2) I'm feeling a bit older suddenly, 🤠 🇨🇦 being 58 yrs old... I have a brother in Australia.
3) I have had a physical disability since birth, and much of my life is compromised (balancing, walking, carrying items etc) ... I have Cerebral Palsy to a moderate / significant impact. (you can ask me, or google it to better understand that limitation). I am only sharing that because the tractor has been such a blessing to me. I do a fair amount of physical work and activity, it just takes me longer, and I need to be careful. The tractor aids in almost everything outside. Let me just say that I have a hobby farm and the tractor is my friend. There are times when one of my (tractor knowledgeable) friends stops by, and has no hesitation to assist me, especially if the tractor is out.
4) I considered all of those tractors, and am glad that my tractor - the [AFFILIATE=1, nofollow=true, newwindow=true, title="Kubota"]Kubota[/AFFILIATE] BX23S actually made it onto your shortlist - mine is easy to operate and certainly saves me a lot of work. I have completed things that I could not have imagined doing without it. It is my first tractor ever. I love it. Kioti was my second choice actually - part of my decision was dealer proximity and my overall connection with the dealership.
5) re: mom's love for gardening - the tractor can do a lot of things to assist with gardening, and a small tractor can operate in confined areas. She may also enjoy having a Green House as another way of doing gardening and showing off her skills.

My first thought is to take your parents to a local / area Tractor Dealership and have them learn about the tractors, try out different features, to see what they like. There may also be used tractors to consider.

Perhaps you know a person with a tractor, a friendly farmer etc. to get further insight from.

There may be a way to get a short term tractor rental for a week or so, to check it out on the property.

All the best in your efforts to make things easier for your parents. This could be a fun time. Thank You for posting.

/ How to convince parents that a subcompact is a good idea #13  
I read it as the deposit is 30% down and he was offering to pay half of that.

I don't speak Australian, but I have stayed at a Holiday Inn Express. :)
I guess that could be the case. I guess I'm not as fluent in Australian as I thought.

/ How to convince parents that a subcompact is a good idea #14  
I'm assuming without looking it up that there is a substantial different in the value of a dollar in australia too. $35,000 for a BX? I hope it has a backhoe, a cab, and a personal assistant that come with it.

I do admire your willingness to help your parents. Nice to see someone thinking of others once in a while.

/ How to convince parents that a subcompact is a good idea #15  
I'm assuming without looking it up that there is a substantial different in the value of a dollar in australia too. $35,000 for a BX? I hope it has a backhoe, a cab, and a personal assistant that come with it.

I do admire your willingness to help your parents. Nice to see someone thinking of others once in a while.

So far as I understand, all new tractors sold in Australia are imported; that alone must add a good chunk to the overall price.

/ How to convince parents that a subcompact is a good idea #16  
First off, you get my rarely used "at-a-boy" award!

Having past 60'ish more than 10 years ago, I can confidently tell you that your father probably does not consider himself "old" like you do. Especially with his can do attitude. The problem with us "old guys" is that our minds are still 30 years old, but our bodies are 100. Guys, (unlike some other genders) are pretty much logical. Every now and again you should remind your father of the age "difference" between his mind and his bodily abilities. And if he pulls his back out, he might be unable to do the simple things for months.

And if he's as active as you say, he's used his fair amount of tools in his life. Subtle reminders of "let the tool do the work" will get him going down the path you want. Part of his research might be to read this thread.

I can honestly say that 99.9% of the guys (and guyettes) on here, have never had a second thought about getting their tractor once they've had it for a while. I use mine 3-5 times a week for so many different tasks it's hard to list them.

/ How to convince parents that a subcompact is a good idea #18  
So far as I understand, all new tractors sold in Australia are imported; that alone must add a good chunk to the overall price.
They may have a VAT tax as well. Who knows. I've never been and never plan on going.

/ How to convince parents that a subcompact is a good idea #19  
Welcome to TBN!

One thing you should think about is the old saying of "Use it or lose it." It's true. If your can-do father is physically active, and has no serious health issues, he may use yard work as a form of 'using it' to keep his body in shape. A tractor, while very useful (I love mine), will promote riding VS walking when it comes to lawn mowing. If he gets other forms of exercise, well, the point is moot. If he doesn't, be prepared to see a slowdown of his physical condition in a short period of time.

My best advice would be to ask your folks what they want. :)

/ How to convince parents that a subcompact is a good idea #20  
I love reading this sort of stuff, you're a real good son to your P's. Yeh if they do their own yardwork and stuff, and are on some land, a small tractor with a loader is a serious force multiplier. Even for a younger dude like me, I'm fairly fit but doing my property with a garden tractor, hand tools and a dump cart got old, so I sprang for a Massey GC tractor. But they are costly, so only you guys would know if the investment is really worth it for you.