How to cut steel belted tires?

/ How to cut steel belted tires? #1  

Doughknob

Veteran Member
Tractor
Deere X500, Bobcat CT4045
Anyone have a good way to cut up steel belted tires?

I have tried many hand tools and hand held power tools but have found nothing up to the task of relatively smoothly slicing through the belts.

/ How to cut steel belted tires? #2  
I cut some for disposal by cutting along the sidewall, just outside the tread, with a utility knife, then rolling up the tread. I cut the bead with a grinder on two sides. Two tires fit easily into a garbage can.

These had no steel in the sidewall, only in the tread.

Bruce

/ How to cut steel belted tires? #3  
I used an Ideal tire groover with good results, grooved out the rubber down to the steel belts, then used a cut off wheel to cut the belts.

/ How to cut steel belted tires? #4  
Sawzall with a bimetal/demo blade works fine.

/ How to cut steel belted tires? #5  
Big ole chop saw. Smelly but works. They burn good too. There are videos on how to cut them up with a home rigged contraptions. I have well over a thousand myself. I don't know how many you need to move. Had a fella call the other night wanting some to burn because they were having a funeral and it was kinda cool out. Boys, it's poor here in rural Arkansas. I've seen that same guy get a dead coon off the road and pick the maggots out and go catch a mess of fish with the maggots.

/ How to cut steel belted tires?
Sawzall with a bimetal/demo blade works fine.
Hmmmm..... I have tried a sawzall with a 'metal' blade. Not sure it was "bimetal" though. I have thought of trying it again but clamping the beasty down tighter so it doesn't just flex as I cut. I will also look for "bimetal" blades.

Big ole chop saw. Smelly but works. They burn good too. There are videos on how to cut them up with a home rigged contraptions. I have well over a thousand myself. I don't know how many you need to move. Had a fella call the other night wanting some to burn because they were having a funeral and it was kinda cool out. Boys, it's poor here in rural Arkansas. I've seen that same guy get a dead coon off the road and pick the maggots out and go catch a mess of fish with the maggots.
LOL! I have tried a metal-cutting blade in my circular saw and I did indeed get some small flames as the blade melted and set fire to the rubber as it tried to cut the steel cords!

I used an Ideal tire groover with good results, grooved out the rubber down to the steel belts, then used a cut off wheel to cut the belts.
I have thought of trying a fiber cut-off wheel but didn't think it would work for the rubber. I did not want to do separate operations - just wanted to cut it with one pass. But I may have to rethink that. Thanks.

/ How to cut steel belted tires? #9  
Diamond blade on an angle grinder goes right through the steel.