How to cut through BIG tree roots?

/ How to cut through BIG tree roots? #41  
I think McMaster Carr still sells a 12" carbide tipped sawall blade.
larry

/ How to cut through BIG tree roots? #42  
familyman said:
I once had a manufacturers website on my favorites list who made a sharp edged ripper attachment for backhoe buckets (the link is gone - victim of crashosis). The stump I started digging today has some roots 3-4" in diameter 24" out from the stump, and although I'd eventually get it done, digging this one this is hard on my machine. Does anyone know of a product that mounts to a backhoe bucket, dipper stick, or even the 3-pt. for cutting through roots? TSC has a subsoiler for about $160 that I guess I could sharpen, but I'm not sure it would work.

You could make yourself a ripper out of T1 steel. You would cut in the teeth like a regular wood saw. It would be pointed, and when you drove it in the ground by the root, you apply an up and down action using the backhoe, and it should saw through the roots.

Someone also makes a diamond chainsaw that will cut through cement. It should be able to cut through dirt and tree roots as well. If it fits your budget, it might be worth it.

Last edited:
   / How to cut through BIG tree roots? #43  
J_J Someone also makes a diamond chainsaw that will cut through cement. It should be able to cut through dirt and tree roots as well. If it fits your budget said:
JJ, I think the diamond in those is used by fixing it in a metal matrix and using its points as an abrasive rather than forming actual teeth. This kind of thing will saw the Heck out of rocks, but it is very easy to load up the space between the hard points when dealing with softer stuff. Of course there are polycrystaline diamond tips that are formed in a way similar to carbide. These can form teeth, but I think they are extremely expensive and may be fragile if used against rock. They would be great for wood mixed with small particulate dirt and soil contaminants tho. Theyd last much better than carbide if there were no rocks.
larry

/ How to cut through BIG tree roots? #44  
I have the same problem dealing with recently felling white oak tree stumps. The roots which are four to six inches in diameter, are too much for my 32 HP Cub Cadet Yanmar EX3200 TLB. Evidently the tensile strenght of the roots exceed the breakout force of my backhoe. I was thinking about using an angle grinder to cut a "toothed" edge on the edges of my backhoe bucket. The objective would be to allow the toothed edge to "saw" through the root fibers. My only concern would be that the bucket might crack at the inside corners of the grinder cuts when put under a high stress strain load?

/ How to cut through BIG tree roots? #45  
I have the same problem dealing with recently felling white oak tree stumps. The roots which are four to six inches in diameter, are too much for my 32 HP Cub Cadet Yanmar EX3200 TLB. Evidently the tensile strenght of the roots exceed the breakout force of my backhoe. I was thinking about using an angle grinder to cut a "toothed" edge on the edges of my backhoe bucket. The objective would be to allow the toothed edge to "saw" through the root fibers. My only concern would be that the bucket might crack at the inside corners of the grinder cuts when put under a high stress strain load?

Better to start a new thread. This one is almost four years old.

Having said that, consider getting a ripper for your backhoe. Search ripper and Island Tractor and you will find a long discussion of said device from last fall.

/ How to cut through BIG tree roots? #47  
good thread, for pulling roots / trees out.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/build-yourself/129506-tree-puller-hard-get-trees.html

reciprocating saw powered via generator.

battery operated reciprocating 19.2v craftsman i have. requires about 2 full batteries to cut a couple 6" branches.

good part about receipting saw, if ya mess up blade. you can quickly switch out for another new blade.

my problems have been hitting other rocks or other roots under the dirt. and having the blade bend at least in 2 different places if it doesn't bust in half and get stuck.

/ How to cut through BIG tree roots? #48  
I made this for my miniexcavator. It turns it into a real powerhouse. It will rip roots like a big boy. The best part of it all, is that it doesn't disturb the ground near as bad as a bucket and can cut much bigger roots. Some times you have to chip at the bigger ones but it hasn't failed me yet. It works really well on frozen ground also.

Attachments

• Fozzy-Do Mfg..JPG
    Fozzy-Do Mfg..JPG
    309.3 KB · Views: 491
   / How to cut through BIG tree roots? #49  
Tree roots are a good reason to never throw away "worn out" chain saw chains. Even cutting part way through weakens the root enough to finish the job with the big boy.