How to disconnect backup alarm?

/ How to disconnect backup alarm? #1  

rScotty

Tractor
Kubota M59, JD530, JD310SG. Restoring Yanmar YM165D
Machine is a JD310SG.
thanks, rScotty

/ How to disconnect backup alarm? #3  
Insulating foam, the stuff in a spray can, can be used to deaden the sound and you can adjust the volume to your needs without killing it completely.

/ How to disconnect backup alarm?
The plan is to put in a switch; there are times it would be useful.
Probably use the foam too. Good idea there. No reason in the world that any horn needs to be that loud.
I find it hard to pay attention to safety while the horn is blasting in my ear.

I'm sure I can find the horn, just thought someone knew where it was on a JD310. It's a cold and blustery day outside. Might snow later. Not the best weather for laying under a tractor.
rScotty

/ How to disconnect backup alarm? #5  
When you find it, a couple of layers of duct tape works pretty good.

/ How to disconnect backup alarm? #6  
If anything ever goes wrong in any way. You can be liable in a lawsuit. Even if the backup alarm was not directly involved. Disabling the backup alarm displays a wanton disregard for safety in general.

/ How to disconnect backup alarm? #7  
If anything ever goes wrong in any way. You can be liable in a lawsuit. Even if the backup alarm was not directly involved. Disabling the backup alarm displays a wanton disregard for safety in general.

You can adjust the volume level such that the alarm is 5db over ambient level. Automatic alarms are available that do that for you or you can get a manually adjustable alarm, hence the suggestion of the foam to adjust the volume. Effective Noise Control During Nighttime Construction - FHWA Work Zone

/ How to disconnect backup alarm? #8  
Is you BH being used on your property or off site? On your own property unless you are a farmer/employer you can get by with murder till an incident happens and insurance is involved. If used in construction you would not be allowed on my construction site. The OSHA rules require the horn at the decibels stated (would have to look that up). Noisy, yes. Modifications to alarm systems carry a big fine when discovered as that is considered a willful act and blatant disregard for safety. Plus the liability issue if the equipment is involved in an incident. Your insurance company will be harder on you than the State.

Ron

/ How to disconnect backup alarm?
Is you BH being used on your property or off site? On your own property unless you are a farmer/employer you can get by with murder till an incident happens and insurance is involved. If used in construction you would not be allowed on my construction site. The OSHA rules require the horn at the decibels stated (would have to look that up). Noisy, yes. Modifications to alarm systems carry a big fine when discovered as that is considered a willful act and blatant disregard for safety. Plus the liability issue if the equipment is involved in an incident. Your insurance company will be harder on you than the State.
Ron

Mostly my own property but not always so. Yes, it is safety that I am most concerned with. That's the aim of the OSHA regs too; but I can't help but wonder if they automatically get everything right the first time. In fact, as I look at their rules it's hard for me to tell if I'm looking at the results of some sort of study or just somebody's opinion.

I'm a naturally careful operator with 50 years experience. And I know from experience that it is easier for me to stay focused on safety when there isn't the distraction of a horn blaring in my ear. That blaring puts me in a rush - with the result that I tend to gun it in reverse so I can shift back into fwd to be rid of the noise.
Frankly I know that for myself there are times when I'm more concerned with getting rid of the distracting noise than in taking extra time to look out as good as I should. That worries me, and I can't help but think that rushing around like that is when an accident can happen.

But, shucks. Maybe I'm either wrong, or in a tiny minority, or just waving at ghosts - because nobody ever seems to ever dislike the backup alarm. Or at least they don't talk about it. So maybe I'm the only operator who feels that way.

As far as lawsuits, liability, and job sites go - well those things scare me as much as the next person Hopefully that's balanced by living a good life. But it also doesn't feel right to let fear of what someone else might do rule too much of my life either. It's a tricky balance between responsibility & consequences; that's for sure.
just sayin, rScotty

/ How to disconnect backup alarm? #10  
My CAT mini-ex has a factory-equipped switch to kill the alarm, and I generally press it before moving to prevent the noise. Of course, regs may be different for a slow crawler vs. a wheel machine.

Sent from my iPad using TractorByNet