How to drill new holes for 3pt pins

/ How to drill new holes for 3pt pins #1  

thatguy

Elite Member
Tractor
John Deere 2320
I have an old (very old) 3pt cultivator my dad gave me.. The 3pt hitch pins are mounted so low that I can't get it attached using the Pats EZ change system.. you can lift it up and get it connected BUT it will not rotate at all because the lift arms hit part of the frame ..

I need to move the hitch pins up several inches - I bought new bolt on hitch pins at TSC, but IM not sure what is the easiest way to drill the holes (IIRC 7/8" holes are needed)

a local dealership quoted me approz $80 to drill two new holes - BUT im not sure the implement is even worth that much hehe

I have a hand drill, and that is about it.. Any suggestion on how to get these drilled cheaply?

thanks

brian

/ How to drill new holes for 3pt pins #2  
I usually use a bi-metal hole saw for this size hole. They are cheaper than big drill bits and do the job faster. Go with as slow RPM's as possible and use cutting oil and it shouldn't take long.

/ How to drill new holes for 3pt pins #3  
I usually use a bi-metal hole saw for this size hole. They are cheaper than big drill bits and do the job faster. Go with as slow RPM's as possible and use cutting oil and it shouldn't take long.

I suggest the same. :)

/ How to drill new holes for 3pt pins #4  
I use a sharp small cnc bit for a pilot about 1/8" and then use the holesaw as mentioned above. This works well as you are cutting out a smaller cross sectional area than using a twist drill bit.

/ How to drill new holes for 3pt pins
thanks everyone.. I had heard of sets like that for installing door locks, but not for metal..

thanks

b

/ How to drill new holes for 3pt pins #6  
thatguy,

Just make sure you get a bi-metal hole saw. The ones you see for door locks and such, won't work on metal.
Morse, Lennox, and Milwaukee are all good. I'm sure there are others.

Good Luck!!

/ How to drill new holes for 3pt pins #7  
thatguy,

Just make sure you get a bi-metal hole saw. The ones you see for door locks and such, won't work on metal.
Morse, Lennox, and Milwaukee are all good. I'm sure there are others.

Good Luck!!

Bosch too.. I have a complete set.. They work really well, Try to keep RPM under 200 if possible, slower is better.

James K0UA

/ How to drill new holes for 3pt pins #8  
If the hole does not need to be pretty, burn a hole with a torch if you have one or know someone else that does. You can clean up the hole with a high speed deburring bit.

The hole saw is a cleaner method but there is some cost associated with buying them.

/ How to drill new holes for 3pt pins #9  
I have an old (very old) 3pt cultivator my dad gave me.. The 3pt hitch pins are mounted so low that I can't get it attached using the Pats EZ change system.. you can lift it up and get it connected BUT it will not rotate at all because the lift arms hit part of the frame ..

I need to move the hitch pins up several inches - I bought new bolt on hitch pins at TSC, but IM not sure what is the easiest way to drill the holes (IIRC 7/8" holes are needed)

a local dealership quoted me approz $80 to drill two new holes - BUT im not sure the implement is even worth that much hehe

I have a hand drill, and that is about it.. Any suggestion on how to get these drilled cheaply?

thanks

brian

Get yourself a step drill with the correct diameter and an oiler can full of pipe thread cutting fluid. Drill a 1/4" dia pilot hole and finish it with the step drill. I've punch holes in 3/8" thick steel plate this way. Much prefer a step drill rather than a twist drill or hole saw when using a hand held electric drill motor.

Search results for: 'step drill'

/ How to drill new holes for 3pt pins #10  
I just start off drilling a 1/8" pilot hole and then keep going up in size. You'll need a 1/2" drill. Those cheap Chinese drill bits work well or you could just buy a nice bit off ebay (bought a 1" US made Vermont American in the package for under $10 shipped). Just use a low RPM with the bigger bits.

Here's a Blu-Mol new bit for under $10 on ebay.
7/8" BLU-MOL METAL DRILL BIT SILVER & DEMING | eBay

If you don't mind spending $20 or so you can find either a Irwin or Vermont American that's made in the USA (not all are so double check the package).