How to estimate pig weight?

/ How to estimate pig weight? #1  

CobyRupert

Tractor
JD 5075E
This summer my wife decided she wanted to raise a couple pigs. I've been told it's most efficient if you butcher them when they are in the 250-300 lb range.
How can I estimate their weight?
My wife bought a weight tape for cattle (couldn't find one locally for pigs), Will this be accurate for pigs?
Is there a conversion factor?

/ How to estimate pig weight? #2  
Measuring around the heart girth combined with eyeballing will get the weight accurate to plus or minus 10lbs every time.

/ How to estimate pig weight? #4  
We raised a couple of pigs a while back and found that this method gave pretty darned close to the dressed weight. I'm not sure how Oscar would feel about that. :D

Your pigs need to be used to you to be able to do this though... I have to admit I felt slightly guilty, watching them in the mirror as they enjoyed the ride on their way to the slaughterhouse. (My friend felt so bad, she bought each of them a Twinkie when we stopped for gas.):p

/ How to estimate pig weight?
According to the websites formula: Weight= (Girth^2 x Length)/400, the pigs weigh about 160lbs

Last edited:
   / How to estimate pig weight?
I don't think the article says, but I assume this is for the live weight?

/ How to estimate pig weight? #10  
I don't think the article says, but I assume this is for the live weight?
As I said before, I found it to be pretty close to the dressed weight. I may have used the 70% mulitplier though. If you read the website though, it says
LIVEWEIGHT vs DEADWEIGHT

The above formula gives you the liveweight of your pig. The conversion from liveweight to deadweight can vary somewhat, however using a ratio of 72% will give a good approximation. Thus in our example Pork Pig would have a carcass weight of around 180 pounds (250 x 0.72) or 82 Kg.

Credit for the liveweight formula goes to the Old Farmer's Almanac.