How to evaluate a used tiller

/ How to evaluate a used tiller #1  

Big Hammer

Bronze Member
So I found the tiller that I wanted to purchase, but there’s no tractor onsite to test it out. Is there anything that I should look for visually? I’m nervous because I don’t know the seller, and they are a couple of hours away. Thanks for anything you can suggest

/ How to evaluate a used tiller #2  
Check the oil in the gear box. Have them pick it up with a loader or something similar, spin the pto, make sure it feels tight. Look at the blades, that will tell you how many hours it's run. Take the cover off the chain or gear drive , see how it looks. They aren't really a technical machine.

/ How to evaluate a used tiller #3  
If you can roll it back so the tines are not touching the ground...you should be able to turn it with the slip clutch...

/ How to evaluate a used tiller
Thanks guys. Here’s a pic. Seller says it’s only got about 20 hours on it. But I believe it’s a discontinued model from the manufacturer.

1677890862932.jpeg

/ How to evaluate a used tiller #5  
Kuhn is a reportable brand. They even make implements for JD repainted green... Look at the tines to see if the seller is being straight up or not. Worn tines equal lots of hours.

/ How to evaluate a used tiller #6  
Like others said Kuhn is a great brand. If the tines are good I'd buy it

Andy

/ How to evaluate a used tiller #7  
Like others said Kuhn is a great brand. If the tines are good I'd buy it

Andy
As others have said Kuhn is a know, reputable brand. Check gearbox oil for the amount and color (water contamination) and tines - although they can easily be replaced. If worn doesn't always mean lots of hours, could have been used in dry hard soil; my experience. But the picture looks like it's a good machine to bet on.

/ How to evaluate a used tiller #8  
Check the 2 tines on each side that are closest to the depth skid shoes. If the ends of those 2 tines come to a point, it has a lot of acres on it.

Check the slop in the chain by holding the pto still with one hand and rock the tines forward and backward. If the tines move 4 inches or more, the drive chain needs tightened or replaced. If you feel or hear something in the gear box while doing that, it's not a good thing.

That's about it, other than cosmetics.

/ How to evaluate a used tiller
Got it home, what a nice, older tiller. Thanks for sharing your input! I’m very happy with my purchase

/ How to evaluate a used tiller #10  
Just by looking at it you can tell it doesn't have a lot of hours, and it wasn't abused, the paint is barely flaked off on the flap, all the warnings are still there even the reflector on the left is there... most tiller only operate a few hours a year so its pretty hard to go wrong... nice find ... it be worth changing the oil in the gear box and remember to grease the CV's joint every time you uses it.