how to foam fill tires

/ how to foam fill tires #1  

badbowtie

Bronze Member
Tractor
B7100 gear drive
I have a 3x5 trailer that I tow behind tractor and four wheeler to haul wood up to house. Both tires are starting to dry rot and may have thorns in them from all the locust trees around here. They are 16x6.50-8 don't really want to spend 60 dollars on two tires to get flats in a week. Would like to foam fill them myself. I am not sure if anybody has used the expanding foam if so how do you do it. I need to start using it more and more with the weather getting colder and every time I want to use it filling the tires is getting old.

/ how to foam fill tires #2  
I don't think that the "great stuff" window type foam is stiff enough to do what you want. Can you use the solid wheel barrow tires? How about doing like the Amish and make up some steel wheels?

/ how to foam fill tires #3  
badbowtie said:
I have a 3x5 trailer that I tow behind tractor and four wheeler to haul wood up to house. Both tires are starting to dry rot and may have thorns in them from all the locust trees around here. They are 16x6.50-8 don't really want to spend 60 dollars on two tires to get flats in a week. Would like to foam fill them myself. I am not sure if anybody has used the expanding foam if so how do you do it. I need to start using it more and more with the weather getting colder and every time I want to use it filling the tires is getting old.

How about using the green "Slime"they sell for the purpose at TSC and Autozone?

Thomas
No matter where you go; there you are...

/ how to foam fill tires #4  
the window foam will not set up in a sealed environment like a tire, or it would set up in the can, (I know of derby car, drivers trying it and it did not work well,

you could call this company and see if they have a tire in your size, GENSCO AIRCRAFT TIRES

Home they are used airplane tires with 12 to 30 plys (I would suggest getting there bolt together rims),

I have them on the pasture pickup and have not had a tire flat since, (before some days I would have 4 flats in a day), and on the tractor front of the loader, the ones on the pickup were difficult to get on a standard rim, the tractor not so bad, but the pick up tires I had a valve core rot off and you could hardly see it was low, there good tires,

/ how to foam fill tires #5  
the key to getting that insta foam to setup is that it WILL setup when it hits atmosphere.... that wheelbarrow tire is not a hard vacume.. :)

we fileld a gat tire for a large rolling gate at work.

poked some holes in the tire and poked in drinking straws.. took valve core out.. rigged up the tube to the stem with a lil fuel line.. sprayed it in till it was shooting out the straws.. pulled straws out so it would sime seal... it's not perfect by any means.. but it don't go flat and roll off the rim.

buddy did his lawnmower tires.. but differently. he tubed them.. fileld the tube with the stuff, then putvalve stem back in and aire it.. let it set.. it settled to one side. then he kept topping the void off then airing then letting set. when done.. he aired them up to normal pressure after topping with as much foam as it would take and getting the stem in.. and ran with it, air over foam. the CAN go flat.. but only droop a bit .. again.. not perfect... but cheap... IMHO.. I would not do a tractor tire.... and really.. for a small cart tire.. I'd get a sloid one from horrible fright..... ;)

/ how to foam fill tires #6  
I have a 3point finish mower that uses the 4x10" tires like what is on the 2 wheeled hand carts only slightly better. I bought a bunch of the 1.99 silicone sealant (not caulking) and used them and cut the tubes to screw onto the tube valve stem. flattened the tube and then pumped in the silicone using my caulking gun. worked but took a LOT of sealant I think 8 tubes per tire. so that is like 16 bucks for each SMALL tire. now I know why the people that do that cost so much... took about an hour or so per tire to do as well. one I ran out of sealant on and didnt get it quite full I also pumped air into them after re-installing the valve cores. they seem to have worked very good I inflated all of them each time prior to mowing so the air inside them was well worked into the sealant and seems to have set up great other than the 1st one I did as I didnt get enough sealant in it.

Mark

/ how to foam fill tires #7  
interesting idea.

I bet an undustrial large contractor tube may help.. :)

/ how to foam fill tires #8  
how about GEMPLER'S ® Ultraseal ™ Tire Sealant ?