How to ground diesel storage tank?

/ How to ground diesel storage tank? #1  

Glowplug

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota M7040HD
I'm sure this has been answered here before but maybe not in its own dedicated thread. I did a search and couldn't find much. I am going to be attaining a 200 gal. fuel tank for diesel storage this weekend. I have heard that when you set it up it needs to be grounded to prevent ignition from static build up. Is this as simple as running a wire from somewhere on the tank down into the ground? Is there a certain secret to it? Is there a "best" way? Thanks! I just don't want to blow myself and my tractor up or catch my barn on fire!:eek:

/ How to ground diesel storage tank? #2  
The only bad questions are the one's we do not ask.

Diesel should not be a problem with static electricity that Gasoline would. But the best way to ground any fuel tank would be to run cable clamp from the tank or tank stand if the stand is welded to the tank and go to a 6 foot brass grounding rod. The grounding rod is available at most Home Depot type stores. You would put the grounding rod into the ground so that only the top 3 to 4 inches are above ground to clamp the cable to. Wire size does not have to be big as you are only dissipating the static build up, 12 gauge would work.

Howard
Hazmatguy

/ How to ground diesel storage tank? #3  
The static electricity problem in tanks is created by the fuel flowing through the rubber hose either while filling the tank or pumping from the tank to the equipment (a tractor in this case I'm guessing). You can eliminate this problem by connecting the tank to the tractor with a wire prior to fueling. If you've ever seen an airplane being fueled by a tanker truck this is exactly what they do. Some fill hoses have a grounding wire built into the hose that connects to the metal fuel nozzle. The vehicle is bonded to the pump and tank just by touching the nozzle to it.

The amount of fuel you are transferring, the type of fuel, and rate the fuel flows through the hose means it's probably no big deal. However, some people like to extra cautious, so it your call.

/ How to ground diesel storage tank? #4  
Steve, you left out the part where the tanker and the aircraft are also grounded to a ground point in the earth.

Glowplug, yes, ground rods are available pretty much wherever electrical supplies are sold, the longer the better but whatever they have local is more then likely adequete. Then heavy bare copper wire is usually used to tie the tank too the ground rod.

There are also several ways of attaching ground wires to your tank, but any handy bolt etc. will work, just make sure that everything is clean to bare metal.

On my diesel I don't worry about it, but it is certainly a good idea.

/ How to ground diesel storage tank? #5  
AlanB said:
There are also several ways of attaching ground wires to your tank.
*Just make sure that everything is clean to bare metal.
B*On my diesel I don't worry about it.
*Buit my tank/drum is plastic.
B*So I think I will go with plan B .

/ How to ground diesel storage tank? #6  
There are still ways to bleed static off a plastic tank. Conductive rubber straps are made to bleed static electricity off. Just look at the personal grounding straps you ware when working on static sensitive components. Remember.. at static high voltage levels.. lots of things conduct.. like carbon core spark plug wires.. etc..

Soundguy

/ How to ground diesel storage tank? #7  
hazmatguy said:
to a 6 foot brass grounding rod. The grounding rod is available at most Home Depot type stores.

never seen a brass one. Copper or zinc coated steel are the 2 you will find at your big box store.

/ How to ground diesel storage tank? #8  
AlanB said:
Steve, you left out the part where the tanker and the aircraft are also grounded to a ground point in the earth.

Glowplug, yes, ground rods are available pretty much wherever electrical supplies are sold, the longer the better but whatever they have local is more then likely adequete. Then heavy bare copper wire is usually used to tie the tank too the ground rod.

There are also several ways of attaching ground wires to your tank, but any handy bolt etc. will work, just make sure that everything is clean to bare metal.

On my diesel I don't worry about it, but it is certainly a good idea.

It certainly doesn't hurt to ground to earth - no argument here, but the most important part is bonding the tank, pump, and vehicle together. If all three are carrying the same charge there will be no spark.