How to level load of stone

/ How to level load of stone #1  

swreeder

Silver Member
Tractor
LS MT3 52HC
Greetings,

I'm getting ready to have a 24x20 run in shed built for my tractor. For that to happen, I had enough stone delivered to level out a 26X22 area.

I've got my tractor, FEL, 5' box blade and a 6' land plane. Any tips on how to spread it out and get it level on that size of an area and what is the best implement to do this? Seems like it will be fairly easy to spread it around, just not sure how to get it level for them to build on.

/ How to level load of stone #2  
Stakes, string, level, and a 2x4 or 2x6. Laser level is hard to see in sunlight so the stakes and string work.

/ How to level load of stone #3  
Dig in and spread with the FEL bucket first then level. If you just push/spread the pile into position you'll have gravel in the corners and the fines concentrated in a heap where they were dumped. btw, I usually spread/grade 5-15 yds of crushed concrete or limestone at a time. Varies by the job/area but my method is always the same.

/ How to level load of stone #4  
I would use the front loader to somewhat level stones than back drag with bucket.

/ How to level load of stone #5  
It's funny how everyone goes about things differently. There's no doubt the loader is needed to move the material to places it needs to go and if you have float it can back drag. But my weapon of choice for leveling material is that landplane. I can't tell you how many yards of material I've leveled with a homemade plane. So much so that I'm building myself one now. If the blades are set to cut 1 to 2 inches you can use draft control and it is truely magic how easy it is to level material. I've never used a production landplane before. The homemade one I borrowed and the one I'm making have opposing blades. Perfect for leveling.

/ How to level load of stone #6  
Greetings,

I'm getting ready to have a 24x20 run in shed built for my tractor. For that to happen, I had enough stone delivered to level out a 26X22 area.

I've got my tractor, FEL, 5' box blade and a 6' land plane. Any tips on how to spread it out and get it level on that size of an area and what is the best implement to do this? Seems like it will be fairly easy to spread it around, just not sure how to get it level for them to build on.
Dump while moving and then use the back side of the FEL to level it out. Try different angles. Generally 30-45 degrees works. I did 22 tons as the 1st job for the 4010 way back in 2004.

/ How to level load of stone #7  
Landplane can be great for long lanes/driveways esp to blend edges but can be awkward when doing a raised pad to build on.

/ How to level load of stone #8  
I would get it close to level before you bring in the rock otherwise you might end up with little or no rock on the current high areas.

Getting things smooth by eye is pretty easy. Getting things level by eye is not. You really need a laser or some other instrument to assist you.

I have a parking area behind my house that is roughly 100' x 200'. I always assumed it to be more or less level. It certainly was nice and smooth. I ran a laser on it and there is over a foot drop in the 100' direction and about 2' drop in the 200' direction. I kept the slope and adjusted the laser to compensate and then spread my gravel on the desired thickness.

/ How to level load of stone #9  
Your 3pt attachments will be almost useless in a 22-26ft long stretch. Just use the fEL. Back drag with the back of the bucket.

/ How to level load of stone #10  
Down in FL on the postage stamp sized residential lots of sand a boxblade and hydraulic top & tilt are king for the pros. That's what I've used for all my building sites at my place here over the years (I don't have hyd tilt, just toplink). Have used my bucket back-dragging some but not very much, the boxblade handles 95% of it. Don't have a fancy laser level but I do have a builder's level on a tripod and made a multi use holder for the rod to be able to work by myself, just gets tiring getting on & off the tractor.