How to lube Husq sprocket tip

/ How to lube Husq sprocket tip #31  
I've owned a Pioneer, McCullock and Homelite in the past. Always greased the sprockets and never had a problem. I bought the Husq 445 new five or ten years ago. It came with a 16" bar with greaseable sprocket tip. I usually grease it every day. I was cutting up a tree in January and forgot to grease the tip and it seized up. I was able to free it up and get grease in there and it's fine now. Surprisingly, the owner's manual says to grease it each time you refuel. I bought the 20" bar for a bigger job. It's the first I've ever seen that wasn't greaseable.
I have a Husqvarna 445 as well. I use the 18" bar. Finally killed the bar on it after about 6 years or so. But that was due to a pinch more than anything else.

I ordered a new bar from Oregon for the saw this time around. I usually use the Oregon speed chain anyway.

I grease every time I fuel it up.

/ How to lube Husq sprocket tip #32  
Several years ago Oregon/blount closed the Windsor line, and then in the last couple years have also discontinued the Carlton line
Doesn't Carlton make the Windsor Pro line sold by Bailee's? Windsor Pro chain is still available. Maybe Oregon just shifted it to another division?

Last edited:
   / How to lube Husq sprocket tip #33  
Doesn't Carlton make the Windsor Pro line sold by Bailee's? Windsor Pro chain is still available. Maybe Oregon just shifted it to another division?
Searched for Windsor chain on Baileys, and said not found. Unless you are mistaking the Woodland Pro chain. I started out by selling Windsor chain which was discontinued and stopped being carried by my parts distributors. and they replaced it with Carlton, which a couple of years ago they stopped carrying it and now all carry Oregon.

/ How to lube Husq sprocket tip #34  
Searched for Windsor chain on Baileys, and said not found. Unless you are mistaking the Woodland Pro chain. I started out by selling Windsor chain which was discontinued and stopped being carried by my parts distributors. and they replaced it with Carlton, which a couple of years ago they stopped carrying it and now all carry Oregon.
Sorry - I meant Woodland Pro. Not sure where I came up with "Windsor".

/ How to lube Husq sprocket tip #35  
Sorry - I meant Woodland Pro. Not sure where I came up with "Windsor".
Looked at the Woodland Pro and what they are showing in the pictures on the website has Carlton Indentified drive links. I suspect you had Windsor on your mind while looking at the chain and just misread it.

Just as a side note the best chainsaw chain I ever sold was manufactured by Excel which for a period also made GB chain which for a period was a close second to quality to the Excel. Would put anything else on the market to shame with edge retention. That company has a strange ending also. The employees went home on Friday evening and when they returned to work Monday morning found the building locked, and the telephones shutoff. The distributors for that chain were left without any contact information from the company, and were left scrambling for new stock

/ How to lube Husq sprocket tip #36  
Looked at the Woodland Pro and what they are showing in the pictures on the website has Carlton Indentified drive links. I suspect you had Windsor on your mind while looking at the chain and just misread it.
Strangely, I was actually thinking Woodland Pro, went to Bailey’s website and searched for “Woodland Pro chain” to make sure it hadn’t been discontinued, but then apparently wrote “Windsor” twice instead

/ How to lube Husq sprocket tip #37  
Was taught to lay the saw on its side, put a few drops of B/C oil over the lube hole, and then pull the chain through a few times by hand. Then flip the saw over to the other side and repeat. Could often see the oil get sucked into the sprocket. Never bothered with grease.

Did this every time chain oil was added to the saw. Sometimes had to clean out the lube hole with a wire so could see metal thru the hole before adding the B/C oil.

Never lost a sprocket.
Bob

/ How to lube Husq sprocket tip #38  
Never lost a sprocket.
Neither have I and my 028 is over 40 years old. Bought it new when I bought the 090 and the 075 and they all have greaseable noses and they get greased before every use, not that I use the big ones because I don't. No, neither are for sale either

Both my new Echo's have greaseable roller noses as well. New Stihl's don't.

Just got a new Timber Wolf which I immediately modded. Hard to keep my fingers off a saw. Offset flywheel key, bigger carb, pulled the funky limiter caps, modded the muffler and added a Stoekel foam air cleaner and velocity stack. Least the Timber Wolf didn't come with a Cay in the muffler unlike the top handle I bought. Had to buy an aftermarket muffler to get rid of that.