How to make a 12' to 15' light post?

/ How to make a 12' to 15' light post? #41  
I purchased some solar LED 300W street lights to place along my driveway. What I did not think of was how to get a post to mount them to. I saw some Youtube videos where people tried 4x4 posts and they said that a 16' 4x4 stuck 3' into the ground with concrete swayed like the dickens in wind with these lights mounted.

I have tried Amazon and Google to find say 12'-18' steel posts, but my fail has been consistent and enduring.

Do any of you folks have an idea for an affordable and functional street light posts?

The lights I ordered:

300W Solar Street Light, 2 Light Set Motion Sensor Dusk to Dawn 15000LM Solar Lights Outdoor with Remote Control
This might sound a bit strange since most of the replies seem to be based around telephone type poles, but my 25' flagpole & 20' weather station pole are all made with galvanized pipe (like the HD stuff they use on the top run of chain link fences, I've seen it up to 30+' long, 1 1/4ish dia and thick enough guage to thread if needed). Be sure to check guage if you buy @ box stores, that pipe can be extremely thin at times. Used to be cheap - but I still find it laying on the side of roads - but I'm sure post covid it's probably up there in price now. But if you can find some, it will definitely fit the bill for some solar lights.

I've used so much of that pipe 'round here for all kinds of things because it seems more & more folks are pulling any chain link out of their yards and replacing with all kinds of strange fencing.

If this doesn't appeal to you, I do agree with most here saying to check marketplace, Craig's list, power company, etc, etc.

One more thought. Have you thought of using something like used drill pipe, water pipe (2-3") or even I-beam? Check your local recycle yard you might get it for scrap pricing.

/ How to make a 12' to 15' light post? #43  
to be more constructive. box your own 6x6 posts out of 2x6 pressure treated lumber. approx 7x7 end result. light weight and hollow for a future wire install.

/ How to make a 12' to 15' light post? #44  
I used a 20' length of 4" Sch 40 pipe to mount a large night Light On.
Not as easy to put into a hole with a FEL as you might think.
Lifetime installation.

/ How to make a 12' to 15' light post? #45  
Simple, maybe a little more expensive, how about a telescoping flag pole? Easy to instal, shovel or auger and a bag of cement.l. Can easily bring lights down for maintenance or replacement.

/ How to make a 12' to 15' light post? #46  
I need to replace a utility pole located between the house and the barn. I found a locust tree with 20' plus of straight trunk and about 8" diameter at the base after all the bark was removed. Locust trees are very rot resistant and last many years as fence posts etc. May coat the bottom 4' with creosote. Best would be to let it dry for several months but I need it before winter.

/ How to make a 12' to 15' light post? #47  
I purchased some solar LED 300W street lights to place along my driveway. What I did not think of was how to get a post to mount them to. I saw some Youtube videos where people tried 4x4 posts and they said that a 16' 4x4 stuck 3' into the ground with concrete swayed like the dickens in wind with these lights mounted.

I have tried Amazon and Google to find say 12'-18' steel posts, but my fail has been consistent and enduring.

Do any of you folks have an idea for an affordable and functional street light posts?

The lights I ordered:

300W Solar Street Light, 2 Light Set Motion Sensor Dusk to Dawn 15000LM Solar Lights Outdoor with Remote Control
I once built my own street lamp, pole, the whole deal. I bought a 15" diameter paper concrete form tube, and enough ready mix to fill it. The paper tube was 4 feet long. I dug a hole for the paper mold and inserted into it a straight and a curved plastic 90 conduit tube so the tube was a inch above the concrete and came out the side 3' underground. The hole in the ground between 3 1/2 to 4' deep. Then I suspended 4 galvanized j bolts into the form hanging from the square plate they would bolt to eventually. the 5" square 3/8 steel plate was drilled in the corners for the 4 j bolts and at the center to fit over the empty conduit. I dug the ground with a shovel to make 3.5' deep hole and set the form tube in place using nails and 2x4s. the pour resulted in an inverted long stem mushroom with the metal plate an inch off the top of the concrete. when the cement set I removed the paper tube and filled in the hole with the original dirt and water to help compact that. a week later I took off the metal plate and welded it to the end of a 10 foot section of 2 1/2" galvanized pipe, I added to the other end a galvanized reducer and another 10 ft galvanized pipe of 1 1/2 " diameter. to the top of that a galvanized reducing 90 elbow then a 1 foot piece of 1" galv pipe.

during storms it would swing, not violently, but you want it to flex because if it did not, it might snap (see Boeing 747 wing tested to failure on you tube).

atop an15' ladder I could lift the pole onto the foundation and viola! my own street lamp 21ft in the air, single handed.

I installed the power wires during the most convenient steps of construction. It weathered many stor!a just fine and I sold that property 10 years ago, the lamp and pole is still there.

I painted all the non galvanized portions with "galvanizing fence paint"

If I were to do it again I would add vertical rebar inside the form, probably 4 evenly spaced would do. 4 feet long bent to 90 degrees at 3 ft so they run from inside the inverted mushroom head up to near the j bolts. or maybe just 4ft long j bolts that reach down into the inverted mushroom head.

definitely remove the paper and refill the hole before mounting the pole.

/ How to make a 12' to 15' light post? #48  
I have bought lengths of used 21ft chain link top rail from the local fence contractor (stuff they have removed & replaced) for $3 a piece. I believe it's 1-5/8", and I think would be ideal for a lightweight LED head.
I've installed quite a bit of chain link fence and that top rail is not very strong. As mentioned before, find the larger diameter posts. Not the posts for back yard fencing, but the larger 3-4" stuff for tall fencing, like a baseball diamond backstop or prison fence.

But the OP was looking at 4x4s, so again, why not a 6x6?

/ How to make a 12' to 15' light post? #49  
I didn't read all the responses, so this may be a duplicate.

I have used two 8' landscape timbers butted together. Using 2 pieces of 5/16 or 3/8 steel flat stock 3" wide. Drill four 1/2" or 5/8" holes in the plates and in the timbers. Bolt 'em together with the appropriate sized bolts. A hole 3 1/2 feet deep will do the job.

/ How to make a 12' to 15' light post? #50  
Pole-barn style posts… three 2X6’s laminated together… glued and screwed—ends staggered… relatively inexpensive and you can make them as tall as desired (within reason)… the concrete anchor should be about a foot deeper than the buried depth of the pole (4’ deep hole for 3’ of buried post)