How to overseed new pasture - work seed in or not?

/ How to overseed new pasture - work seed in or not? #1  

Timmer92

Tractor
Kubota L3901
Good morning,

This is a bit off the tractor topic, but there is a tractor involved, and you all are awesome at answering my questions!

We are preparing a field to be a cow pasture next spring. Last fall we disced it several times, spread winter rye grass using a broadcast spreader, and then went over it with drag harrow (no tines, just the chain link fence style). The rye came in nicely before winter and is greening up as we see warm days here this spring. Our next step is to broadcast overseed the area with a pasture mix once the ground warms up. My question to you is if I should do anything to work this seed in? My better half thinks not because it will harm the rye. I'm thinking there has to be the right tool for the job that will work in the seed but not overly impact the rye. Thoughts?

We live in sand so there isn't a ton of natural nutrients. although it's been producing corn and soybeans for longer than I've been around. I don't know how much time and effort it takes to have the soil tested. Is there a recommended course of action you would take to make sure I'm getting the most production? Apply lime, fertlizer, at certain times etc?

Thanks!

/ How to overseed new pasture - work seed in or not? #2  
Way back when, before the world was formed and before many of you were born, they (homeowners then, before I became one) used to run a heavy roller over grass seed thrown onto the ground. This would press it very firmly in contact with the soil. Give water, it would sprout and send roots right into the ground rather than sprout and roots shoot out horizontal to the ground and die out from lack of moisture.

Barring not having a roller, you could roll over it with your tractor tires.

Ralph

/ How to overseed new pasture - work seed in or not?
Way back when, before the world was formed and before many of you were born, they (homeowners then, before I became one) used to run a heavy roller over grass seed thrown onto the ground. This would press it very firmly in contact with the soil. Give water, it would sprout and send roots right into the ground rather than sprout and roots shoot out horizontal to the ground and die out from lack of moisture.

Barring not having a roller, you could roll over it with your tractor tires.

Ralph

I was thinking a roller might do the trick, but I wasn't sure if it would be too heavy and harm the rye. The next challenge would be seeing if I could find one to rent.

/ How to overseed new pasture - work seed in or not? #4  
If you're still getting good freeze/thaw cycles, you could seed now to get it incorporated. I roller or cultipacker after a few of those cycles would be even better.

/ How to overseed new pasture - work seed in or not? #5  
Good morning,

This is a bit off the tractor topic, but there is a tractor involved, and you all are awesome at answering my questions!

We are preparing a field to be a cow pasture next spring. Last fall we disced it several times, spread winter rye grass using a broadcast spreader, and then went over it with drag harrow (no tines, just the chain link fence style). The rye came in nicely before winter and is greening up as we see warm days here this spring. Our next step is to broadcast overseed the area with a pasture mix once the ground warms up. My question to you is if I should do anything to work this seed in? My better half thinks not because it will harm the rye. I'm thinking there has to be the right tool for the job that will work in the seed but not overly impact the rye. Thoughts?

We live in sand so there isn't a ton of natural nutrients. although it's been producing corn and soybeans for longer than I've been around. I don't know how much time and effort it takes to have the soil tested. Is there a recommended course of action you would take to make sure I'm getting the most production? Apply lime, fertlizer, at certain times etc?

Thanks!

An overseeder or no-till drill is probably the best tool for what you are doing. Locally, ones available from our soil conservation office. The Kubota place had one to rent, but rumor is he sold that one. They cost about $7000 for a six footer.

Restore pasture using overseeder - YouTube
Seeding the Pasture at Bob Ralph's Farm with Great Plains 66NT Drill - YouTube

Thanks all for the feedback!

An overseeder or no-till drill is probably the best tool for what you are doing. Locally, ones available from our soil conservation office.

Great information! I called the 2 soil conservation offices we work with for tree planting on our land. It just so happens one of them has a no-till drill for rent!

Good morning,

Thanks!

Still looking for guidance on the coarse of action to ensure the most production. Thanks everyone!

/ How to overseed new pasture - work seed in or not? #8  
Still looking for guidance on the coarse of action to ensure the most production. Thanks everyone!

how big of an area are you talking about ? what kind of tractor do you have access to? how wide is the no till drill you will be renting?

/ How to overseed new pasture - work seed in or not? #9  
Depending on the variety of rye, it may die anyway.

A 10’ no-till drill will require a 65-75 hp tractor with rear remote to operate.
A drill set to a shallow (1/8”) depth will give better results than spreading and dragging.

My pasture is around 4 acres. I have a Kubota L3901. I have a large capacity broadcast spreader, but no equipment to work the seed into the soil. I'd likely be looking to rent or borrow, unless I can justify using the equipment on an annual basis or something.

I have an opportunity to rent the following according to their details: "Truax FLII-812. It is 12’ wide and plants 8’ wide rows with 12 disks at 8” spacing. A 50hp tractor or bigger is needed to pull the Truax which has a pin hitch. Two hydraulic hoses have pioneer ends with o-ring attachment." I live in sand and last fall was able to quite easily use a disc that was supposedly far too big for my 37hp tractor. Can I get away with this unit if I go slow and take it easy? Or am I feeling foolishly invincible because of the disc experience? I also don't know about the hydraulic attachments. I'm not familiar with the styles and am not by my tractor at the moment to confirm what it has.