How to prevent suction screen gunk

/ How to prevent suction screen gunk #1  

SuperDave62

Tractor
Binford 6200
I just had to change the hydraulic fluid in my Dad's 5075E, and clean out the suction screen. I just did this a year ago for the first time, and it was here that you all told me how to do that - A BIG THANK YOU!.

Here it is a year later, and the machine was doing the same thing, and I changed the fluid, the filter, and of course, cleaned out the screen again.

This tractor did not get run very many hours since that change last year. Perhaps 10 or twenty, no more than that. Right now it has a total of about 220+ hours on it.

Is there a way to prevent moisture from getting into the hydraulic system? The tractor sits out in the open, no shed or anything. I wonder where moisture might be getting in. Would throwing a tarp over it make any difference? Does it need to be run more?

/ How to prevent suction screen gunk #2  
The tractor sits out in the open, no shed or anything.

Sorry to hear about that problem.. but guess you know the solution.

Or it just may be cheaper to change out the fluid, filter, and suction screen once a year and leave it parked out in the open.

Is whatever the problem solved by changing oil and filter, and cleaning screen?

/ How to prevent suction screen gunk #3  
Does the tractor ever get worked? Worked is defined as heavy mowing for 2 hours or more where the governor is activated? When I mow my transmission gets hot. How hot I am not sure of but you will not want to hold your hands on the hot metal. That helps evaporate condensate. My little JD 870 tractor has been sitting in yards since 1986. I do have a canopy mounted to the roll cage that does keep a little bit of rain off the tractor. I only do a bit less than 50 hours a year, maybe 40 years a year. Half of that is hot work mowing pastures. The rest is road grading and moving hay bales. Make sure the transmission shifter if you have a manual transmission has a good boot to keep water out. I have never had condensate issues. I live in Georgia. A few times a year we have extreme humid temp swings that cause a lot of condensate on heavy metal tools in the garage.

/ How to prevent suction screen gunk #4  
If moisture is present in hyd oil then my guess is a fungus is present that requires a procedures to eliminate. Be sure hyd reservoir breather is open so if any water is present it can exit reservoir when hyd oil gets to operating temperature. Many yrs ago I heard of utilizing formaldehyde to rid fuel system of fungus but I don't know if it would be safe for hyd systems.

Show in U-tube video is a product that absorbs water in hyd oil.
Save hydraulic fluid from water damage - YouTube

/ How to prevent suction screen gunk
Is whatever the problem solved by changing oil and filter, and cleaning screen?[/QUOTE]

Yes, sir. Did all that and it worked flawlessly.

/ How to prevent suction screen gunk
Does the tractor ever get worked?
Only a few times during the summer to mow heavy weeds along the road and maybe a little bit out in the pasture. But it would only be 4-6 times during the summer months.