How to prime JD2020

/ How to prime JD2020 #1  

DogT

Silver Member
Tractor
JD2020
I got my new injectors in and some new parts on the return line, everything back together, changed the fuel filter. I even heated the engine for a while with the heater so it was warm. Cranked it and it started right up, a little slower than before, but of course there was some fuel missing in the injectors, but it ran fine, no smoke, smooth and of course it just quit after about 5-6 seconds because the fuel line is not primed. The fuel filter did fill because I bled it from the top and fuel came out, so that's done.

There used to be a lever on the fuel pump, but JD replaced that years ago and not there's no pump.

How do I prime this thing, just keep cranking? Batteries don't last long that way.

/ How to prime JD2020 #2  
I’ve no first hand experience, but I’ve always heard to crack the line at the injector(s) and crank until all air is out and it starts shooting fuel out.

My tractor has a pump on top of the filter and a bleeder screw at the pump for the line between filter and pump. I’ve only had to use this, but ever had to bleed lines from pump to injectors.

/ How to prime JD2020
Actually there is a pump handle on the fuel pump, I just couldn't see it. I bled the fuel filter bleed on the top and the book says to 'loosen the high-pressure fuel pipe on at least 2 of the injectors and with the hand throttle in the 1500 rpm position, turn the engine until fuel without foam flows from the loose connections. Tighten those and then do the same for the other 2. The batteries don't last long though. I've only got a 6A charger. Guess I'll just keep trying every hour or so.

/ How to prime JD2020
Well, that wasn't as bad as I thought. I made sure the filter was full, then I loosened the 2 center injector feeds, cranked at full throttle it until I saw fuel, which was maybe 5 seconds, then I did the same with the 2 outside ones, another 5 seconds crank or so. Tightened them back up, and it started up. Surged for quite a while, but it always does that when I change the filter. No smoke, sounds like it's running on all 4 cylinders the same now. I'll get it out tomorrow and see what it runs like, maybe do a little road grading. I actually probably could have just cleaned the old injectors and been done with it instead of replacing them.

/ How to prime JD2020 #5  
Glad it was easy. I have JD 2030 parts tractor that has not run in almost 20 years. Next year I hope to get it running.