How to remove these stains

/ How to remove these stains #1  

tstex

Gold Member
Tractor
1997 Kubota M5400S
Hello Guys

Folks here seem to be both creative and resourceful, so looking for solutions to remove these stains off of our gutters. After installing a new roof, the tar/resin(?) from the composition singles have stained the gutters when the rain overflows. When you get 3”/hr rains, it just happens?

Looking for products and instructions to remove these stains. We have travertine stones below for decking so I’ll need to cover when cleaning.

Pls let me know if you have any questions?

Attachments

• B8D9EE42-0E24-4330-A640-32069E7955DA.jpeg
    B8D9EE42-0E24-4330-A640-32069E7955DA.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 56
  • D57121D3-9C03-4B10-A456-0E6375982165.jpeg
    D57121D3-9C03-4B10-A456-0E6375982165.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 57
   / How to remove these stains #3  
Hello Guys

Folks here seem to be both creative and resourceful, so looking for solutions to remove these stains off of our gutters. After installing a new roof, the tar/resin(?) from the composition singles have stained the gutters when the rain overflows. When you get 3”/hr rains, it just happens?

Looking for products and instructions to remove these stains. We have travertine stones below for decking so I’ll need to cover when cleaning.

First, if your gutters arent handling the rain in your area, then they are failing. You need more downspouts in those areas if they are not clogged. I lived in Houston area for 12 years so I understand the challenge.
Once that is corrected you could power wash them with dish soap then rinse, then try and repaint. I personally would not use any type of solvent or degreaser as it could make its way to your exterior siding below and cause issues there.

/ How to remove these stains
Thank you both.

I have 5 down spouts but also 5 other drains on the travertine deck of 1385 sqft. But when it rains 3”/hr, nothing can contain the flow.

I was told that this is mildew by a former homebuilderthat i just met, not a resin from shingles. He was 1000% adamant it’s not tar, resin or anything else. Does this change your approach?

/ How to remove these stains #5  
If you think there’s a chance it could be mildew, try a diluted bleach solution on a piece.

It looks exactly like the stain I get on my overhead deck beams most years, bleach solution + scrub brush cleans it up pretty well.

Perfect, thank you rg.

I met a former homebuilder of 30 yrs and he was very, very sure that it was mildew and nothing else. He said he was positive. So, I’m going w that as the culprit.

Last edited:
   / How to remove these stains #7  
Hello Guys

I had a similar issue. Used Krud-Cutter and a power washer. A big P.I.A. but cleaned fairly well. I then painted them, which to my surprise has held up for several years so far. I had assumed the expansion (texas heat) would crack the paint, but it has not !

/ How to remove these stains #8  
I believe it to be a black mold/mildew.

I use Simple Green and a small amount of bleach.

My process: wet the surface... using a fertilizer pressure can, spray the soap/bleach solution... let stand for the the bleach to attack the mold/mildew.. but before it dries, power rinse with the power washer. If stubborn, then I take a soft brush to it.

Do small sections.. don't try to do too much that the soap starts to dry...

I have vinyl siding.. I make sure the siding is wet so any over spray is hitting a wet surface.. I power wash the siding to make sure nothing remains on it.

/ How to remove these stains #9  
I’ve used a product called “Wet It And Forget It”. You just spray it on with a hose end sprayer and do nothing else. It doesn’t work right away, it says it might take weeks, but my experience is it takes a few days.

Thank you very much guys. You have given me some ideas and things to research - hopefully these gutters will be clean in a week or so - thanks again