How to retire at 55 instead of 65 or 70.

/ How to retire at 55 instead of 65 or 70. #211  
I cried with the rest back in 08. But on the advise of my advisor, I stayed the course and recovered nicely.
Hopefully, this is not a repeat of 08.

After what happened, I haven't even looked at my account the last couple days. I didn't even call my advisor and cry.

Last edited:
   / How to retire at 55 instead of 65 or 70.
Wait until you buy a thousand shares at $60 and sell the last of them nine months later at $6. Then you can cry.

It went up to $70 before it started its drop. I started selling it off once it got below $50 but that last group was still 500 shares.

That set me back two or three years. I think it was nine months between buying and selling, but that has been a long time ago. I believe the manager of that fund spent some time as a guest of Uncle Sam. May be wrong about that though.

RSKY

/ How to retire at 55 instead of 65 or 70. #213  
NOW is the time to go in to your payroll office and up your 401k contribution to the max for the next couple of months.

Good advice but I would say, max it out and leave it maxed out. Get some good advice on where to put those funds in your 401K periodically and never, ever rob it. I did that many moons ago and my advisor now says I will never, ever outspend my money*.

It helps that I am German and Scottish. That means that I am stubborn and I am cheap. Stubborn to keep investing no matter what. And cheap so I do not spend any more than I need to.

*my wife might, but I won’t :laughing: