How to retrieve object from gas tank?

/ How to retrieve object from gas tank? #11  
I did the same thing. doh!!

Mine has been in the tank since September.

I tried to fish it out with the grabber tools and other methods but could never even find it to try and grab it.

DO NOT USE A FLAME (LIGHTER) TO TRY AND SEE INTO THE FUEL TANK!!

/ How to retrieve object from gas tank? #12  
DO NOT USE A FLAME (LIGHTER) TO TRY AND SEE INTO THE FUEL TANK!!

Duh!!! Ya think:confused2:

My co-worker responded to me: "If you can't see it, because the tank is opaque, and it is multi level, those grabbers don't work. My mechanic took the tank off and turned it upside down."

But note, I said his was a much smaller 'cap'! You still might have better luck, chasing a 'spout'! ~Scotty

Last edited:
   / How to retrieve object from gas tank? #13  
OK, so I was figuring I've gotta be the only idiot to ever do this, but lo and behold there's a thread going on right now on this.

The local Ace hardware has one of those grabber things, so we'll see if that can do the job for me.

I made a hooked-end piece of metal, and fished around some more, but I still don't feel the thing.

I guess it's a good excuse to get in some seat time, to run down the fuel a bit. Maybe if I can see down into the tank....

If no one has said it today, or even if they have, this forum is a great place.

Ken

Was going to suggest one of the flexible grabbing tool you push the button and it expands and letting go retracts too. If you can't see it I would suggest one of the miirors I've saw with the light on the end. Sounds like a normal day to me, and one that would keep me awake all night trying to figure out how to get it out...just because I know it is there.

/ How to retrieve object from gas tank? #14  
I've already used my good old shop vac to clean junk out of fuel tanks. Only works if you can go straight in though.

/ How to retrieve object from gas tank? #15  
I was just showing an example of what I used. And that type of "grabber" has worked well for me. Open up the jaws and fish around in the corners and close'em up. You should have it out within a few min. I've had to do this on my ATV and motorcycles too ;)