How to seal a 4' x 4' wood box that holds water?

/ How to seal a 4' x 4' wood box that holds water? #1  

plowhog

Elite Member
Tractor
Massey 1710 / 1758, Ventrac 4500Y / TD9
I have a irrigation water distribution box that needs replacing. But I'm not sure how to build a new one that seals tight?

The box is 4' square, 2' high walls. Existing walls/bottom use redwood 2x8's. The box sits sub-grade with only the top lid above grade. The old box is 50 years old, and was still working (with leaky patches) until a thirsty bear tore off the top and did it in.

I have located some 2x12" heart redwood ($$$$) which will allow fewer seams than 2x8's. A friend suggested using a Dado blade to create joints that can be glued and screwed. I'm guessing he means creating something like tongue and groove, or a lap joint. Not sure, as I've never used a Dado blade?

Do you have any suggestions, using Dado or otherwise, how to join the 2x12's so they are water tight? Sides, corners, and floor?

There are also wall penetrations for irrigation pipes. 2 1/2, 3, and 6 in. Any ideas on a simple method to penetrate wood walls with pvc pipe and have a good seal? (A 6" schedule 80 bulkhead adapter is $400+).

The box location is remote, with no power, and 250' up a very steep hill. I will probably have to haul up pieces and assemble the box in place. Concrete would be ideal-- except for access. I *might* be able to haul enough bags of concrete to pour one of the four walls, and have the pipes go through that wall? But then I would need a method to join the concrete to the wood side walls?

Any ideas?

/ How to seal a 4' x 4' wood box that holds water? #2  
Can you use a pond liner?

I've seen it done with penetration for round pipe cut small and stretched around pipe and secured with proper size hose clamp.

You also may be able to find ABS rectangular tub and use ABS cement and stainless screws for flanged penetrations?

/ How to seal a 4' x 4' wood box that holds water? #3  
You could use fiberglass cloth and resin to waterproof it after it is built and in place. That would also encapsulate all the fitting mounts on the inside, so you won't have to use such expensive stuff, and the tolerances can be a bit looser.

/ How to seal a 4' x 4' wood box that holds water? #4  
Could use a cut down IBC tank and wrap it with treated wood 2x12's. It would be a LOT less expensive.

/ How to seal a 4' x 4' wood box that holds water? #5  
could you go 21st century with a plastic IBC tote. About $100 bucks used around here.

edit: oops... too late already beat to the punch. (haha)

/ How to seal a 4' x 4' wood box that holds water? #6  
I have a irrigation water distribution box that needs replacing. But I'm not sure how to build a new one that seals tight?

The box is 4' square, 2' high walls. Existing walls/bottom use redwood 2x8's. The box sits sub-grade with only the top lid above grade. The old box is 50 years old, and was still working (with leaky patches) until a thirsty bear tore off the top and did it in.

I have located some 2x12" heart redwood ($$$$) which will allow fewer seams than 2x8's. A friend suggested using a Dado blade to create joints that can be glued and screwed. I'm guessing he means creating something like tongue and groove, or a lap joint. Not sure, as I've never used a Dado blade?

Do you have any suggestions, using Dado or otherwise, how to join the 2x12's so they are water tight? Sides, corners, and floor?

There are also wall penetrations for irrigation pipes. 2 1/2, 3, and 6 in. Any ideas on a simple method to penetrate wood walls with pvc pipe and have a good seal? (A 6" schedule 80 bulkhead adapter is $400+).

The box location is remote, with no power, and 250' up a very steep hill. I will probably have to haul up pieces and assemble the box in place. Concrete would be ideal-- except for access. I *might* be able to haul enough bags of concrete to pour one of the four walls, and have the pipes go through that wall? But then I would need a method to join the concrete to the wood side walls?

Any ideas?
Use oatley pvc shower pan liner. Run one long piece down one side across bottom and up the other side. Over lap remaining two sides and weld the seams together with the glue. You can make corner pieces and glue together. Cut holes for your pipe and glue flanges where it goes through with pvc glue.

/ How to seal a 4' x 4' wood box that holds water? #7  
What about metal nipples penetrating the wood and use an underwater marine caulk for the fittings? Drill the appropriate hole size to "thread" the nile in? Would ice and water guard used on roofing to prevent ice dams work to line the inside of the box? Jon

I like the shower pan liner better.

/ How to seal a 4' x 4' wood box that holds water? #8  
The box is 4' square, 2' high walls.

Any ideas?
That's around 250 gallons. Get one of the totes as suggested. Or two. Or more. They're fairly light while empty, should be no problem getting it up the hill, even if you need to rig it up on a small trailer or skid.

They have an outlet and valve you can rig into your irrigation system.

/ How to seal a 4' x 4' wood box that holds water? #10  
Will Red Guard work?
My first thought was Redgard too. Seal all your fittings with good 50 year siliconized caulking and then paint two layers of Redgard over it.

Redgard is commonly used to waterproof showers. It is also rated to waterproof a pool or fountain. It's very thick, almost like jello. I use old chip brushes to apply it and then through them away when I'm done.