How to ship tractor from Fla to Maine?

/ How to ship tractor from Fla to Maine? #1  

Deliberate1

Friends,
Can anyone suggest a trucking company that can get my BX2200 from Florida to Maine? Regular freight shippers will not let you drive it on or off the truck.They require it to be crated or palletized, which apparently is not possible according to the guy I am buying it from. What about an ATV or golf cart shipper. Please help. My lawn is taking over my house, and my wife is beginning to talk about "Plan B," which sounds a bit ominous. Many thanks.

/ How to ship tractor from Fla to Maine? #2  
I believe you are going to have best luck finding a rollback "towtruck" to make the trip. When I bought out of state (100 miles) it was delivered by rollback. If you are considering a Kubota try Steve Carver down in Dunn, N.C Good deals, good service, good people /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ How to ship tractor from Fla to Maine? #3  
From what I've heard getting a load out of Florida is difficult to impossible for a trucker. There's lots of stuff going in. Not much coming out.. That means there's lots of trucks running empty headed North. For the easiest solution, try to find a trucking company in Maine that runs into Florida from time to time. Maybe they'll be happy to get a back haul.

Call one of the big equipment auctioneers like Ritchie Bros who run auctions in Fla. They'll have a list of haulers.

Some trucking companies specialize in hauling cars back and forth between the Northeast and Florida for folks who winter in the South and return in the Spring. While the tractor won't go on a regular semi-trailer, someone might have something that will work.

Kean out of Harrisburg, PA is a company that hauls equipment. A lot of their loads are picked up in Baltimore for delivery in the US and Canada. They might be able to back haul the tractor from Florida to Harrisburg and then add it to a load going from Baltimore up to Maine.

Call a trucking broker. Their business is matching loads with trucks.

/ How to ship tractor from Fla to Maine? #5  
Look into the hot shot service folks. These are the guys running the Ford and Dodge duals pulling insanely long trailers with 3-5 cars on 'em. It can also be loaded onto a flat bed semi trlr, as they chain 'em down, but the hotshot service should be less expensive. Just a few thoughts, as I've never done it myself. You could leave it at my place for a few yrs while ya figure it out! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ How to ship tractor from Fla to Maine? #6  
Gotta agree, if you can find someone coming back empty you may get a good deal. Even an empty horse hauler could fit a BX22 inside without a problem. Probably only takes up the front 1/2 of a stock trailer with the slide gate closed.

Just going to take some calling around to various shippers of different products maybe you'll get lucky.

What kind of prices are they giving you so far?

/ How to ship tractor from Fla to Maine? #7  
Crating/palletizing could be a real snap or an impossibility. It depends on how the seller lives and works. In my circle of friends, it would be simple. We always have large pieces of equipment being received. Just grab a big already-assembled skid, borrow a 5T truck, place skid on truck, drive tractor onto skid on truck, fasten big chocks and tie tractor down, build crate over tractor, drive to truck terminal and tell them where to take it.

On the other hand, if the seller has no connections or manual skills, you're out of luck.

I recently did a small project for a customer that included setting and connecting a (replacement) machine. The old machine needed to go somewhere out West. We brought the old machine back to the shop, set it on a skid, boxed it in, and called one of the freight companies we deal with. History lesson.....................chim

/ How to ship tractor from Fla to Maine?
Thanks for your suggestions. If on a pallet or crated, the best price I got was $520 to the terminal in Maine. But then I had to hire a truck to get it from the terminal to my home. Another $225. Problem is that the trucking company literally would not unload the tractor to the ground. It had to go into the terminal building, and they would not allow me to drive it out nor would they set it on the ground so I could load it on my utility trailer. But I did just speak to an outfit that ships ATV's that will do door to door for $750. What do you think. Haven't actually pulled the trigger on the tractor. Did not want to until I got the shipping in place. Is this a good deal: 2002 BX2200 60" deck all with 50hrs, for $8200. That is cash money. Am I better off spending more, buying new and taking advantage of the 0% financing? Thanks again.

/ How to ship tractor from Fla to Maine? #9  
$750 door to door sounds outstanding. I paid $900 3 years ago from N Carolina to upstate NY on a flatbed tractor trailer, then had to arrange for a flatbed towtruck to be at the house to unload. (Back tractor from tractor trailer to tow truck, tilt bed then drive to ground). I can't believe a shipping company won't let you drive it out of a warehouse - somebody doesn't want business!!

/ How to ship tractor from Fla to Maine? #10  
So your talking $9000 with shiping.
Take the 0% and get a new one for another $1000 (perhaps only a few hundred if you calculate the $$ you will save on interest.

And know there is nothing wrong with it and you have the warantee.