How to shorten a trailer?

/ How to shorten a trailer? #1  

stumpfield

Gold Member
Tractor
2005 MT265B
I bought a heavy duty trailer that's a little too long (24 feet). I want to cut 4 feet off. It this a crazy idea? or is it doable? What's the easiest way to do this? I'm thinking of making 2 cuts. Keeping the rear 18" so I can re-use the ramp attachment, tie down rings and other stuff. I never done this before. I can weld. Any comment before I start? What's the best tool to cut the main beam (8" C-channel about 1/4" thick)? I plan to use an abbrasive blade on a circular saw. Thanks.

Last edited:
   / How to shorten a trailer? #2  
I think the first problem is that the axles are set according to the overall length. Mine on my 16 footer are a little rear of the middle of the trailer and yours are probally the same. After you cut the 4' off your axles will be to much to the rear and throw the tounge weight off. Before lighting the torch I would get some expert input from the other TBN'ers. You might end up with a serious sway problem which can throw your load off. Be careful. Do some research and I would find a 20' trailer somewhere and measure the length of the tongue and where the axles are in relation to the front and rear. Good Luck. I built my first trailer and it was a fun project but I did my homework first. You could move your axles by cutting the welds but be sure where they should go back on.

/ How to shorten a trailer? #3  
Unless you need the carring capacity you may thing about removing an axle.
If you remove the back axle your pin weight may not change one bit (empty trailer)
Having 15- 25% pin weight is ideal for towing a load.

I am half owner of a tripple axle dump trailer that looks like a wagon and it tows just fine...making tight turns is interesting.
Have fun with your project.

/ How to shorten a trailer?
I'm thinking out loud here... It's is a 5th wheel trailer. It will have a lot of tongue weight anyway. My 1 ton truck can handle that. I don't know for sure but the axles look a llittle too far forward now. In addition, it's a triple axle and the weight should distribute more evenly on the frame. Moving the axles 1 foot or 2 doesn't have the same weight shifting effect as a single or double axle. This trailer current has a 19000 lbs GVWR. I don't really need that. I'll be hauler a 7000lbs max. Any sugguest of what type of joint for the weld? Can I just butt it together?

Should look like this... (wish it's that easy...cut & paste)

Last edited:
   / How to shorten a trailer? #5  
I think your plan sounds very do-able.
But I do think you should also remove one axle. Making tight turns with a tri-axle is a PITA, and VERY hard on the tires.

/ How to shorten a trailer? #6  
Yea from your paste I would remove the ft. axle.
On your welds, I would atleast add a doubler on one or both sides of the frame so the weight will not be all on just the welded section..it will distribute it through out more of the frame.

/ How to shorten a trailer? #7  
If the trailer is new or nearly so, you might see if you can trade it for a shorter one that is more in lign with what you need. It would be a whole lot easire and maybe even cost effective.

/ How to shorten a trailer? #8  
I agree with wushaw based on your cut and paste to remove the front axle. As far as the weld goes you can butt weld the frame but also weld in some 1/4" thick plate across the two sections you weld together for additional strength.

/ How to shorten a trailer? #9  
Stumpfield, I'd cut at the beavertail & just behind the axles, then I'd weld flanges onto the ends of all cuts and make a spool piece that could be bolted in for original length when needed. The beavertail section would bolt onto the shortened frame or the lengthened frame. I'd use 6 or 8 3/4 " grade 8 bolts on each side. You could operate full length, shortened with or without a beavertail. MikeD74T

/ How to shorten a trailer? #10  
Add me to the remove an axle camp. much mo better