How to shorten hay elevator chain?

/ How to shorten hay elevator chain? #12  
I have placed a pry bar in the links and leveraged them up to drive apart,
it doesn't take much slack that way.

/ How to shorten hay elevator chain?
Thanks Lou.
If I understand you right, pick a link, say link #1 and weave the pry bar through link #1 and link #4, leverage them together so that links #2 and #3 between them are slack?

/ How to shorten hay elevator chain? #14  
It has been a while since I had to mess with those types of chains, but yes if you can get a small bar in and 2 and 3 stand up they should make a 90 and be able to drive apart. You may be able to bring them together with a big pair of channel locks also.
Sometimes you can work right at the lower sprocket also.

/ How to shorten hay elevator chain? #15  
Last night I sprayed with penetrating oil all the bolts that hold an individual elevator tube segment to adjacent segments. 28 bolts that haven't been turned probably in over 40 years.

Regarding the chain: I loosened the adjustable tensioner sprocket at the top end of the elevator to get as much slack in the chain as possible, but that doesn't provide enough slack that I can fold the chain over on itself to take apart or to get it off (to the side of) the end sprocket to get more slack.

I'm thinking I need to take a fencing (block and tackle) pulley (or a come-along) and start pulling the chain loop unto itself (if that makes sense) to create slack. But the chain slack this creates will be right under the come-a-long which will be right in the way.

An easy work-around solution to getting enough slack may become apparent when I actually do this, but any tips?
Youre going to shorten the chain anyway, so why dont you just cut a link to separate the chain. Itll give you all the slack you need without force/stretching it.

Youre going to shorten the chain anyway, so why dont you just cut a link to separate the chain. Itll give you all the slack you need without force/stretching it.

Good point.
That’s the usual method anyways right?
If pounding on something doesn’t get it apart, get the grinder
...or the torches.

Last edited:
Last edited: