How to smooth a lawn?

/ How to smooth a lawn? #1  

Pilot

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 770, Yanmar 180D, JD 420 (not running), had a Kubota B6200
After getting rid of most of the moles, a few more to go (see my post about mole murdering), it's time to fix my 20 year old lumpy bumpy lawn. Mowing it is like riding the mower across furrows. It's 12,000 sq. ft.

I have a roller, but it's too small.

I have a JD 770 tractor with ag tires, a cultivator, a blade, a disk and a chain harrow. I suspect I don't really have the right equipment.

I suppose I could rip out the lawn and start over, but at 12,000 sq. ft., that would be quite a job and I have a long list for this summer already. Besides, what would I do with the sod I ripped out?

So, what's a good, easy way to smooth out the lawn?

/ How to smooth a lawn? #2  
I'll be watching this thread because if anyone comes up with an easy way to do it, I know a couple of lawns that need help; one of which is mine.:eek:

Incidentally, in was in Northern Tool a few days ago and it was the first time I've seen the rollers in there. They have several sizes.

/ How to smooth a lawn? #3  
You can start by renting a good size vibratory double ashpalt roller which will run you about 400 bucks for the day. A 15 ton vibratory dirt roller will cost more but an ashpalt roller should do the job for a little cheaper. I would start there. If it is so bad that that doesnt work, your gonna have to regrade the property and thats gonna involve renting a small dozer or track type skidsteer and restabilizing the whole property and at that point, you will have opened up a can of worms.

I do site improvement and development for a living.

/ How to smooth a lawn? #4  
I do NOT do site improvement but have been involved in lawn smoothing. Once you get past small variations, which can be done w a roller, you may want to live with it. The one that comes to mind is a scenario where there was too much variation in the lawn. In order to smooth it properly you needed to remove the top soil (all of it), then smooth the subsoil and regrade the top soil back. This is something to consider if you have thin top soil. If you just scrape it smooth without watching you may have areas where the top soil is gone. Much harder to get a good lawn.

Chuck

/ How to smooth a lawn? #5  
Pilot,

12K SF is not that much lawn area so why dont you have the tools? It would seem that your disc would loosen up the soil, then the drag harrow would level it out, then to seed, fertilize then roll it to smooth out?

What is so complicated about this that I am missing?

Carl

/ How to smooth a lawn? #6  
I mow about 5 ac of lawn, and don't pick up the clippings, and just mow over the mole mounds. I think that the low spots just over time get filled in with the mulch with the grass clippings, and the dirt that gets spread around by mowing over the hills. Yes, my lawn is lumpy bumpy, and won't win awards in "home and garden" But don't need it to be. If it's green, and I can look over it when I do a bbq, that's good for me. I don't use weed killer, or food on it as well. It seems to get better every year. But, can't drink a beer, as it will spill, as I mow, so just do it as early in the day as I can.:thumbsup:

/ How to smooth a lawn? #7  
Spread fine topsoil on the lawn in a thin layer, and water. It will wash into the low spots. Repeat and roll as necessary. If the layer is thin enough, the grass will grow right through it. If it's so thick it kills the grass, just re-seed the bare spots.

/ How to smooth a lawn? #8  
I agree it doesn't have to be as smooth as a putting green, a heavy roller after a good rain when the ground is wet will make it smooth out better.
Good luck

/ How to smooth a lawn? #9  
I use my friend's "Lawn Smasher Extraordinaire". It is a 36" diameter 7' long roller that I usually only fill about half full of water but there is additional capacity if needed. It works great on mole mounds and general frost heave.

If a heavy roller is not enough top dressing as has been suggested works well especially since you have a chain harrow to level it and help to get the grass to poke through.

/ How to smooth a lawn? #10  
We have some really rough areas. Rolling hasn't helped to any significant degree. I think the worst of it came from erosion before the grass took hold (it's a sloped area). Besides, rolling is supposed to compact the dirt which is bad for the grass roots.

I've thought about trying to add some fine, loose dirt and then leveling it out with the landscape rake. Your chain harrow may do the job or drag a section of old chain link fence around. Make sure you cut the grass short before you do it.

Ken