Oil & Fuel How To Start a Kubota Diesel Mower??

/ How To Start a Kubota Diesel Mower?? #11  
I was thinking the same thing myself. I didn't respond to the thread, as I'm not familiar with Kubota, but my thought was maybe a fuel line shut off as another poster had mentioned. I'm curious now. Gerard

/ How To Start a Kubota Diesel Mower??
Sorry, here I am again. I got distracted playing with the backhoe since I can't mow. I have been trying each suggestion and we are making progress. I have figured out the light touch on the key sequence to activate the Kubota's glow plug and I now am getting the proper indicator light, but it still won't start so I am thinking the low battery / slow crank speed scenario is the next hurdle. As usual, I loaned my battery charger out weeks ago, so I need to round up another and then I think we will make some noise. Thanks to all for your help. I think we have the problem surrounded.

Great advice from All, Thanks, BG

/ How To Start a Kubota Diesel Mower?? #13  
Hello all I also have the same problem ! I have a Kubota Diesel G1800 that would not start.

I first started out changing fuel filters 2 one by the motor and one by the tank and new Diesel, Then I put new glow plugs because the light on the dash was not working to show glow plugs was working and the light still don't work so I checked the light bulb on dash and that was good. I also had the fuel injectors rebuilt and calibrated and bought a new battery also.

Tractor will still not start it will turn over and almost start it blows black smoke even tried to jump start it from the truck and it still want start even used starting fluid on a rag and no start. I have checked all the fuses under the dash and they are good ??????? Some one said something about a glow plug circuit where would this be and could this be my little monster......... I do not know what else to check or do but I feel it has to be something really simple just don't know where to look. Someone please help.

/ How To Start a Kubota Diesel Mower?? #14  
Almost 9 years later and now I wonder if the original poster ever got that mower started!

/ How To Start a Kubota Diesel Mower?? #15  
So please tell me how to do this great magic trick !

/ How To Start a Kubota Diesel Mower?? #16  
I thought I remember reading something about having to do something special to turn on the glow plugs. Something odd like turn the key the opposite way to turn them on before you started the engine.

/ How To Start a Kubota Diesel Mower?? #17  
I thought I remember reading something about having to do something special to turn on the glow plugs. Something odd like turn the key the opposite way to turn them on before you started the engine.

:) That's how I start mine.:2cents:

/ How To Start a Kubota Diesel Mower?? #18  
On the G1800/G1900, you turn the key to Run and then preheat is just halfway between Run and Start. My glowplug light doesn't come on, but oil pressure and battery lamps get dim. I hold the key in the preheat position for 5-10 seconds and then turn it completely to start. The engine fires off every time. If I don't preheat, the engine puffs smoke and won't start even in the summer. Surely Zina has discovered this by now. There is a screen below the steering wheel that is removed with two thumb screws. Under that cover is a 3-fuse block. Perhaps the 20 amp fuse for the glowplugs is blown. There are four slots in the fuse block, but only 3 are used. The one in the middle should be a 20 A fuse for the glowplugs. The glowplugs work off the ignition switch. They are not controlled by the combination box like many other items.

BTW: When I go to Run on my ignition, I immediately hear the tick-tick-tick of the fuel pump. If you don't hear that, you might need to replace it.

Zina, the Kubota forum would have been the ideal place for your post instead of here. Nobody has time to read every post in every forum, so to get a quick response, you need to make sure your post is read by the most experts. I'm thinking that in 9 years, you got your mower fixed, sold it, or it has collected a lot of dust.

/ How To Start a Kubota Diesel Mower?? #19  
Thank you Jim I will go to a Kubota site and nope I have been using mine and just shut it off and it never started up again and this is all I have tried and yes the fuel pump clicks. Great mower when it worked and I am wondering is it is some safety switch some where. I would mow my yard and put it on the trailer to mow a vacant lot and unload it and it would not start again?????

/ How To Start a Kubota Diesel Mower?? #20  
Check that 20 Amp fuse. Next, use a voltmeter to check for power to your glowplugs when you hold key in preheat position. Either use alligator clips on your meter test leads or get somebody to provide additional hands to hold the meter or turn the key.

I am not very confident in the operation of the key switch since mine fails in the start position. I had to install a start button on my mower separate from the key switch.

BTW: Zina, I thought you were the original poster from long ago, but just noticed you started posting your problem. Though, my point about posting in the Kubota Forum is still valid.:)

Last edited: