How to successfully fix a John Deere 870 stuck clutch

/ How to successfully fix a John Deere 870 stuck clutch #11  
Run it into a tree in the lowest gear possible. Creeper speed.
NO! You want a gear that will stall the engine promptly. Low gears will just dig holes without much torque from the engine.

/ How to successfully fix a John Deere 870 stuck clutch #12  
Creep gear has so much gear reduction that it doesn’t put much torque on the clutch. Put it in the highest gear and apply load with the brakes. And make sure the clutch pedal is depressed while you’re doing it. And soaking the clutch in PB blaster was stupid. It’s probably ruined even if it does break free.

/ How to successfully fix a John Deere 870 stuck clutch
Which one???.. there were so many dumb ones? I agree..

Creep gear has so much gear reduction that it doesn’t put much torque on the clutch. Put it in the highest gear and apply load with the brakes. And make sure the clutch pedal is depressed while you’re doing it. And soaking the clutch in PB blaster was stupid. It’s probably ruined even if it does break free.
It's been working perfectly.... and Didn't have it in "CREEP" Gear... funny you're familiar with that word "Creep"...LOL

/ How to successfully fix a John Deere 870 stuck clutch #15  
   / How to successfully fix a John Deere 870 stuck clutch #16  
Creep on a tractor sometime has pictures for folks. Turtle for slow or creep, rabbit for fast. Or look on your right fender 1-1 has a real slow ground speed. 3-3 has a fast ground speed. 3-3 which might also be referred to as 9th gear does allow that break the clutch free with high torque at the clutch others referred to.

A dry clutch disk is designed to be dry. Soaking the clutch in lubricants could be fine if you just get the lubricant to pivot points or to the input shafts. Soak the driven disks (there is one for the PTO and one for the wheels) and you may have a slipping clutch when driving or when mowing. The clutch on my 870 has stuck twice. Nothing but starting in gear has broken it loose. Tractor sitting out in the weather since it was built in 1996.

This one V V V-V V V

Engine should stall prompty if clutch doesnt break free. Ver-ry little wheelspin.
Yep.. I let tires spin for minute or so.. turned it off .. backed it up ..was able get it in a higher gear let it idle against the tree.. engine stalled almost immediately… left it there all night till next day with the torque still on the tranny… (clutch pedal was clamped down to frame) never broke loose… ! Crazy…! only thing I can figure is last time I used it I plowed snow for 4 days in 20” snow with 4 wheel chains 18” front blade .. it much have cause the clutch plates really worked them Over and to seize together when I forgot the block wood for 6 mos ! … Damnist thing I’ve experienced ..

Creep on a tractor sometime has pictures for folks. Turtle for slow or creep, rabbit for fast. Or look on your right fender 1-1 has a real slow ground speed. 3-3 has a fast ground speed. 3-3 which might also be referred to as 9th gear does allow that break the clutch free with high torque at the clutch others referred to.

A dry clutch disk is designed to be dry. Soaking the clutch in lubricants could be fine if you just get the lubricant to pivot points or to the input shafts. Soak the driven disks (there is one for the PTO and one for the wheels) and you may have a slipping clutch when driving or when mowing. The clutch on my 870 has stuck twice. Nothing but starting in gear has broken it loose. Tractor sitting out in the weather since it was built in 1996.
Have used tractor now for several months after getting it broke loose and have experienced no slippage; no adverse issues of any kind.. so pleased ..to say the least