how to turn of update downloads on win10 over metered connection?

/ how to turn of update downloads on win10 over metered connection? #1  

Soundguy

Old Timer
Tractor
RK 55HC,ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC
I know on win10 you can't totally turn off updates, and on some builds/versions you can however 'defer' them. You can also turn off how you recieve them. IE, not as the mutual share / bittorrent method, which can use your machine to host updates for other people.

I see where there is mention of an option that you can disable so that it will not download over metered connections, but I have not been able to find exactly where that is.

On our road jobs, we setup a mobile office trailer and stick a hotspot in it, and just buy a data card to refill it for the duration of the job. Usually there is a guy with a tablet out there full time, and maybee a super that floats thru with a laptop.

The (convertable) tablets we have all upgraded to win 10, as did the supers laptop. When windows pushes those big 'feature' updates, if both those guys are in the trailer, they can eat up a few gigs of data in a day or two. I need to find out how to kill the updates over the metered connections, and let them wait to update till they get home on their landline wifi, etc.

Any one know? I know it must be somewhere under the update and security section, but I just didn't see it. Is it under the wifi / network/internet section somewhere?

thanks

/ how to turn of update downloads on win10 over metered connection? #2  
look up something called never10

/ how to turn of update downloads on win10 over metered connection?
from the details it prevents upgrade to 10 from 7/8/8.1

Once you are on 10.. doesn't look like it would do anything I need. I'm trying to turn of updates over metered connections, a very specific task.

/ how to turn of update downloads on win10 over metered connection? #4  
I need to find out how to kill the updates over the metered connections, and let them wait to update till they get home on their landline wifi, etc.

Any one know?

The best way to control updates is by turning Windows Update on/off. To turn it off: right-click Start button -> Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Services -> double-click Windows Update -> set Startup type to disabled -> Apply -> OK

To turn it back on: repeat above steps except set Startup type to automatic

Don't worry about the metered connections BS. Disabling Windows Update will override that and all the rest of the confusing M$ rules.

does that work on 10?

/ how to turn of update downloads on win10 over metered connection? #6  
Instead, you’ll need to use the Settings app to do this. Open your Start menu and select Settings to launch it. Click or tap the “Network & Internet” icon, select “Wi-Fi,” and select “Advanced options” at the bottom of the list of nearby Wi-Fi networks.

Activate the “Set as metered connection” option here.

Note that this just affects the current Wi-Fi network you’re connected to. Windows will remember this setting, however, and that particular Wi-Fi network will always be treated as a metered network whenever you connect.

As soon as you leave the Wi-Fi network and connect to another Wi-Fi network that isn’t considered metered, Windows 10 will resume automatically downloading updates and using the other restricted features. You’ll need to set that Wi-Fi connection as metered after you connect to stop this from happening.

Thanks, that was what I was looking for!