How to use all of this sawdust?

/ How to use all of this sawdust? #11  
It will probably take 5 year minimum probably more before the sawdust decomposes enough to grow grass.

/ How to use all of this sawdust? #12  
All over the world, from India to England to the USA folks are using machines that turn sawdust into "briquettes" that are then sold for burning in wood stoves. Kinda like small Presto Logs. The sawdust needs to be fairly dry (I think, and could be wrong) but that is the only limitation. Anyway, the machines that press the sawdust into these so called briquettes are available from several sources. The machines are widely used and if I had tons of sawdust that I needed to dispose of I would look into buying a briquetting machine. I think even wet sawdust may work because the machines use high pressure and heat to make the briquettes, which would tend to drive the moisture out. I'm sorry, I don't have a link, but just looking online or on YouTube will result in several hits.
Eric

/ How to use all of this sawdust? #13  
Yes it’s my gravel pit and yes diesel is very high. We don’t have a lot of top soil in my area. Hardwood mill is about 10 miles one way so 20 miles round trip. Just trying to make that gravel pit less of an eye sore.

Thanks for clarifying, that makes a lot more sense, and yes probably a good idea. Plus you could do this over time, multi-purpose trips rather than single purpose return trips.

/ How to use all of this sawdust? #14  
If it’s walnut saw dus it will kill most plants.

/ How to use all of this sawdust? #15  
yes it will eventually .... I think if I remember correctly from school 1 meter of organic matter will produce 1cm of top soil ... have fun ...

/ How to use all of this sawdust? #16  
yes it will eventually .... I think if I remember correctly from school 1 meter of organic matter will produce 1cm of top soil ... have fun ...

Based on my experience, shredded leaves will produce about 20% compost volume. In other words, if you had 1 meter of leaves, you would end up with about 20 cm of compost. I looked it up on line and found that various loose materials yield as little as 10% of the original volume, but dense materials (manure for example) yield over 50% of the original volume. Sawdust is pretty dense, so I would guess it will build up fairly quickly. Sawdust mixed with manure would be a good combination. Do you have a horse or dairy farm nearby?

/ How to use all of this sawdust?
Well I got the time because I have just relocated to the small town I grew up in. I’m trying out and finding the problems with an older dump truck I purchased. Then I’m going use the older dozer I bought to spread all this sawdust out. Probably go a foot deep. Time is no problem on waiting for it to decompose.

/ How to use all of this sawdust?
I’m going have to check on manure. I would have better luck finding chicken litter. Personally I don’t know of any cow or horse operations big enough to sell manure from.

/ How to use all of this sawdust? #19  
In our area there are a couple of small stables that don't have any good way to get rid of manure. They just pile it up and will load it free for people who want it. Otherwise, they have to pay to have it hauled away.

/ How to use all of this sawdust? #20  
Based on my experience, shredded leaves will produce about 20% compost volume. In other words, if you had 1 meter of leaves, you would end up with about 20 cm of compost. I looked it up on line and found that various loose materials yield as little as 10% of the original volume, but dense materials (manure for example) yield over 50% of the original volume. Sawdust is pretty dense, so I would guess it will build up fairly quickly. Sawdust mixed with manure would be a good combination. Do you have a horse or dairy farm nearby?
sure but it's all about the time frame .... 1m of leaves will produce 20cm of compost the next year or in a few months sure and it is a accelerated process but that 20cm will keep producing Nitrogen and its volume will keep shrinking for many years afterwards, if you leave 1m of manure for 20 years you wont end up for half of a meter of it ... naturally it take 200 to 400 years (in a mild climate) to create 1cm of topsoil.