How to use all of this sawdust?

/ How to use all of this sawdust? #32  
Sawdust is a known carcinogen, so wear a mask or other respiratory gear when moving it.

/ How to use all of this sawdust? #33  
All over the world, from India to England to the USA folks are using machines that turn sawdust into "briquettes" that are then sold for burning in wood stoves. Kinda like small Presto Logs. The sawdust needs to be fairly dry (I think, and could be wrong) but that is the only limitation. Anyway, the machines that press the sawdust into these so called briquettes are available from several sources. The machines are widely used and if I had tons of sawdust that I needed to dispose of I would look into buying a briquetting machine. I think even wet sawdust may work because the machines use high pressure and heat to make the briquettes, which would tend to drive the moisture out. I'm sorry, I don't have a link, but just looking online or on YouTube will result in several hits.
Eric
I bought a pallet of these bricks this year for my Mom for her wood stove. They work great for her. Easy to light, no mess/dirt with firewood, and best of all, I don't have to cut, split and stack wood at her house anymore.

She really likes them. The bricks also don't have any binder materials/glues, etc. All natural, just pressed.

/ How to use all of this sawdust? #34  
make a sawdust stove, heat some water, and make electricity. $$$

/ How to use all of this sawdust? #35  
have a 15 yard dump truck so thinking of hauling 30-40 loads.
What Can't ya do with it.
Hugelculture, bury it under a few inches of topsoil and water it in a year or two you will have fabulous amendments for the garden. I'dchrat and spread some Urea over top before the dirt layer. Wood requires nitrogen as it decomposes.

Heat that greenhouse you always wanted. Pile it up against a block or brick wall, spread urea or cor urine on it water it and tarp it. It'll warm that wall you can even tun water tubes through it and into the green house for 40 degrees on a cold winter night.

Use a Hydraulic Press and some corn starch to compress it into woodstove fuel.

If perchance it is shavings use it for animal stalls and pens.

use it as Mulch.

/ How to use all of this sawdust? #37  
You might want to see if you can get a copy of, "The Practical Handbook of Compost Engineering," by Roger Haug. It was originally published by CRC Press, Inc., 2000 Corporate Blvd. N.W., Boca Raton, FL 33431. It includes a section on composting wood chips and sawdust. Sawdust and woodchips have a lot of carbon in them so you need a nitrogen source for microbes to aid in decomposition. The nitrogen source could be grass clippings, manure, etc.

There is a table in the book that shows the following:

The lower the number, the slower the decomposition rate. Hardwood sawdust decomposes faster than softwood sawdust.
  • Red Cedar: 3.9
  • Douglas Fir: 8.4
  • White Pine: 9.5
  • Western White Pine: 22.2
  • Average of all softwoods: 12.0
  • Chestnut: 33.5
  • Yellow Poplar: 44.3
  • Black Walnut: 44.7
  • White Oak: 49.1
  • Average of all hardwoods:45.1
  • Wheat straw: 54.6

/ How to use all of this sawdust? #38  
In our area there are a couple of small stables that don't have any good way to get rid of manure. They just pile it up and will load it free for people who want it. Otherwise, they have to pay to have it hauled away.
Yes free manure adds around gardening time. It also includes lots of undigested seeds so a bonus for plant growth.

/ How to use all of this sawdust? #39  
You might want to see if you can get a copy of, "The Practical Handbook of Compost Engineering," by Roger Haug. It was originally published by CRC Press, Inc., 2000 Corporate Blvd. N.W., Boca Raton, FL 33431. It includes a section on composting wood chips and sawdust. Sawdust and woodchips have a lot of carbon in them so you need a nitrogen source for microbes to aid in decomposition. The nitrogen source could be grass clippings, manure, etc.

There is a table in the book that shows the following:

The lower the number, the slower the decomposition rate. Hardwood sawdust decomposes faster than softwood sawdust.
  • Red Cedar: 3.9
  • Douglas Fir: 8.4
  • White Pine: 9.5
  • Western White Pine: 22.2
  • Average of all softwoods: 12.0
  • Chestnut: 33.5
  • Yellow Poplar: 44.3
  • Black Walnut: 44.7
  • White Oak: 49.1
  • Average of all hardwoods:45.1
  • Wheat straw: 54.6
Use mostly redwood chips…