Snowblower how "too big" is too big

/ how "too big" is too big #1  

JP11

Silver Member
Tractor
Cub Cadet 2518
I've got a line on a snowblower that I would like. It's a provonost, which is what I want. It's used, and looks in great shape. Weight comes in about 1300 lbs... well within my tractor's capacity. It's a 7 foot blower.

BUT!!!

The manufacturer says 50 to 75 horse. My CURRENT tractor is a 1020, 40 horse gas. It's specs say about 38.9 horse at the PTO. I probably will be buying a new tractor within 3 or so years. I wouldn't be blowing more than a foot of snow.. and can deal with the fact that I will be going very SLOW with this unit.

Thoughts?

Thanks
JP

/ how "too big" is too big #2  
Worst case is:
A) You'll have to go pretty slow before it'll bog down on you which may result in...
B) you getting frustrated so you sell it...possibly taking a loss.

If you're pretty sure you'll be buying a larger tractor, reckon it can't hurt to buy this snowblower...if it's that good a deal.

/ how "too big" is too big #3  
I think I would go for it as long as hitch compatibility is not a problem now and with the future planned tractor purchase. Is the snowblower cat 1 and cat 2 compatible?

I know that my 820 is compatible with most of the new implements I have purchased for my new 4520. As you mentioned sometimes I have to slow down a little when using the lower powered tractor but it isn't a big deal to me.

If you are thinking to upgrade to a 5000 series or above you could always sell off the smaller attachments you have and this one could be included with the others.

/ how "too big" is too big #4  
I think you have about talked yourself into it and your reasoning sounds good. If it is a good buy, go for it! Ken Sweet

/ how "too big" is too big #5  
I agree - go for it. In saying the blower is for 50-75 horsepower, the manufacturer is saying the gearbox and other blower parts can handle that much power from the tractor, not that it needs that much to function. The power needed will depend on the amount of snow you're trying to move - and how fast. A 7' snow blower is not that power-hungry. If your tractor has a reasonably slow reverse gear you'll be fine.

/ how "too big" is too big #6  
My 2 cents: go with the blower you want even if it isn't matched with what you have today. Deal with any speed limitations now. Enjoy it more when you get a bigger tractor.
I had a small blower matched to my smaller tractor. I upgraded my tractor a few months ago and am now faced with changing my lineup of attachments.

/ how "too big" is too big #7  
You can easily convert a wide blower into narrower blower, and not loose any speed (except on the first pass) by taking a smaller cut than 7 feet.

The first pass will have to be slow but succeeding passes can be narrow, but normal speed. That way you will get normal speed and throwing distance. That is what I do when I have a lot of snow, or wet snow. It takes a little longer, but it much easier on the tractor.

On that basis I would buy the blower and not really worry about getting a bigger tractor. Of course the big blower will be more awkward to maneuver in tight situations, if you have any.

/ how "too big" is too big
Thanks. looking at a few options.. one is a blower sized a bit better for my tractor. I haven't seen the blower in person. We'll see.

I guess I should be more content with a right sized machine. I was looking at the 35 to 40 horse cab tractor for the next one. BUT... i could talk myself into buying a used 50 or so instead...

Thanks. always pros and cons. I checked out new.. and top of the line is sure top of the line money. 5k for a blower is a lot on a 5k dollar tractor. :)

JP

/ how "too big" is too big #9  
Is your tractor gear or hydro - hydro easier with blower as can slow down but keep rpm up easier? 7 foot isn't that big for nearly 40 PTO HP. Our Deere 4320 drives a 6.5 foot blower very easily with 40 PTO HP.

/ how "too big" is too big #10  
its also going to depend on what kind of snow your blowing.

3" of powder is going to dissapear with the power of a leaf blower.

3" of wet slush is going to be hard to move with a 150hp blower....