How Well Does the 42" Deck Mulch and Bag?

/ How Well Does the 42" Deck Mulch and Bag? #1  

Milo

Platinum Member
Tractor
JD 3520, Ferris Z2100, Kawasaki Mule Pro MX, Honda Pioneer 520
Stopped by a dealer a few days ago and was looking at small lawn tractors. The ones I've narrowed down to (D120, X300, or X310) all have 42" decks. The sales person said the 42 decks on the X series are a little better than the one used on the D120 but they all looked pretty similar to me. Anyway I would like to be able to mulch most of the time but occasionally bag when it´s very thick and also bag leaves in the fall. I doubt we'll be chuting grass out the side often, if ever. The salesman said the standard blades both mulch and bag. Does this really work? Sounds good if it does. On riding mowers I've had in the past I always switched blades back and forth which was a bit of a pain. Can any of you with 42 decks that mulch and bag comment how well (or poorly) it does both? And if you found it necessary to switch blades which do you use? Thanks!

/ How Well Does the 42" Deck Mulch and Bag? #2  
I've been looking at and am about to purchase a JD X310 and just this past weekend I asked my local dealer about mulching with the 42" deck and he specifically said to do the best job mulching different blades should be used, he indicated they wouldn't have as much pitch to them as the standard blades. And that the special blades would cut the grass about 6 times before falling to the ground.

/ How Well Does the 42" Deck Mulch and Bag? #3  
The first three falls I used the JD 3n1 blade to bag. The fourth fall, I purchased JD high lift blades. I could shoot my self for suffering through all those shoot clogs the first three years. So, my LA 120 does a great job of bagging but not with the 3n1 blades it came with. This year I switched to gator mulching blades, but I will put the JD high lifts on in the fall. The bagging difference is like night and day.

/ How Well Does the 42" Deck Mulch and Bag?
Thanks for your advice. It certainly sounds like mulching blades for mulching and high-lift for bagging will work best. I guess I should try the 3 in 1 blades that it comes with. It would be convenient to mulch but still be able to bag occasionally, like if we can't mow for an extended time due to rain, w/o having to switch blades. Then switch to high lift for fall leaf pick up as jhonb suggests.

/ How Well Does the 42" Deck Mulch and Bag? #5  
Not to say that the 3n1's don't do an good job of bagging, it is just that the high lifts do a great job, especially when your plowing through 18 inches of leaves. Up until this year I used the 3n1's for the summer and then in the fall and spring the high lifts. This is my first year with mulchers. but come fall,the high lifts go back on.

/ How Well Does the 42" Deck Mulch and Bag? #6  
I have the 42C on my GT225 and it bags great with high lift blades provided you don't mow wet and heavy grass. I have the optional mulch kit which came with mulch blades, but I never use it since I installed gator blades on a different tractor.

/ How Well Does the 42" Deck Mulch and Bag?
I have Gators on my Kubota which work well with the chute. Would Gator blades be considered any higher lift that JD's regular 3 in 1 blades?

/ How Well Does the 42" Deck Mulch and Bag? #8  
doubtful. gators shred and throw the residue downward. no vacuum is created.