How would you repair this?

/ How would you repair this? #1  

MasseyWV

Elite Member
Tractor
How would you repair this Massey 135 tractor step plate? Two of the raised "dimples" are partially broken away, as if a previous owner had attached something to them using bolts through the holes, causing stress cracks to form, thus breaking away the missing pieces of metal.

I'm anything but a professional welder, but I do have one of those flux core wire feed welders that I use to make minor repairs from time to time, and was thinking of carefully building up the missing metal, then grinding it back into a shape resembling the other raised "dimples".

Any advice you can give would be appreciated.

ohv9z7.jpg

/ How would you repair this? #2  
Might try grinding it down smooth. Then take a carriage bolt (w/ the head about the size of the raised area) and cut off the head. Then weld it from the bottom. Finally drill from the top with a drill bit the same size as the hole and drill from the top.

/ How would you repair this? #3  
That's exactly what I would do...done the same kind of "fill" on my old MF35 once or twice...:)

Rich

/ How would you repair this? #4  
Looks like there is metal sticking up on the back side?
See if you can coax it back flat with a dowel and small hammer, then (slowly) try to build it up.
Heat is not your friend with thin material, as it's all too easy to blow a hole through it.
So you'll want to apply a little metal, then stop and take a careful look at it.
While you're looking, the metal has a chance to cool and you can blend or take off high spots.
Then back with the MIG, but just a little. Repeat the observe, blend, add routine several times.
A dremel type tool with a grinding wheel on it will be your best friend.
If you take your time and prep carefully, I think you can get that back to it's original shape.
Good luck and tell us how you made out!

/ How would you repair this? #5  
Consider using a metal epoxy like "JB Weld".

Wire brush down to clean metal, mix it up and when you apply it you can shape it and force it into the cracks. when cured you can "dimple" it with a drill bit.

I've had good luck with repairs using this type of product.

/ How would you repair this? #6  
Unless I was refurbishing the tractor back to original, I'd leave it.

Why do you want to fix it ?, looks pretty minor.

/ How would you repair this? #7  
I would grind a piece of carbon to the shape of the bottom of the hole and use it to form my shape and just weld around the hole making the ring. The beauty is carbon conducts but the weld does not stick to it. Would be a easy job.

/ How would you repair this? #8  

Leave it.....There has to something more in need of repair then that.

/ How would you repair this?

While it is somewhat minor, I'm completely restoring the tractor and would like to make everything look as original as possible. Currently, the tractor is 90% apart and the step plates have been removed as well. Here's a link to my TBN thread about my ongoing restoration progress.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/...rating/241531-my-1966-massey-135-tractor.html

Might try grinding it down smooth. Then take a carriage bolt (w/ the head about the size of the raised area) and cut off the head. Then weld it from the bottom. Finally drill from the top with a drill bit the same size as the hole and drill from the top.

Looks like there is metal sticking up on the back side?
See if you can coax it back flat with a dowel and small hammer, then (slowly) try to build it up.
Heat is not your friend with thin material, as it's all too easy to blow a hole through it.
So you'll want to apply a little metal, then stop and take a careful look at it.
While you're looking, the metal has a chance to cool and you can blend or take off high spots.
Then back with the MIG, but just a little. Repeat the observe, blend, add routine several times.
A dremel type tool with a grinding wheel on it will be your best friend.
If you take your time and prep carefully, I think you can get that back to it's original shape.
Good luck and tell us how you made out!

The back side is smooth. However, I'm torn between the suggestions of using a carriage bolt and simply building it up using tack welds, so what I think I might do is attempt to build it up using tack welds and if that fails I'll use the head of a carriage bolt shaped and drilled to match the original profile.

My welding skills aren't the greatest but they aren't horrible either, so I think I can manage to make it look decent with the help of a little grinding. My biggest concern is the possibility of new stress cracks forming where the metal is welded. Is there anything I can do to help prevent this?

I would grind a piece of carbon to the shape of the bottom of the hole and use it to form my shape and just weld around the hole making the ring. The beauty is carbon conducts but the weld does not stick to it. Would be a easy job.

That's an interesting idea, but unfortunately I have no idea where I could find a piece of carbon suitable for the task at hand or I'd be happy to try it. Suggestions? :)

/ How would you repair this? #10  
While it is somewhat minor, I'm completely restoring the tractor and would like to make everything look as original as possible. Currently, the tractor is 90% apart and the step plates have been removed as well. Here's a link to my TBN thread about my ongoing restoration progress.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/...rating/241531-my-1966-massey-135-tractor.html

The back side is smooth. However, I'm torn between the suggestions of using a carriage bolt and simply building it up using tack welds, so what I think I might do is attempt to build it up using tack welds and if that fails I'll use the head of a carriage bolt shaped and drilled to match the original profile.

My welding skills aren't the greatest but they aren't horrible either, so I think I can manage to make it look decent with the help of a little grinding. My biggest concern is the possibility of new stress cracks forming where the metal is welded. Is there anything I can do to help prevent this?

That's an interesting idea, but unfortunately I have no idea where I could find a piece of carbon suitable for the task at hand or I'd be happy to try it. Suggestions? :)

IF you are restoring that tractor, then you should be aware that those step plates are worn. Those dimples originally barely had a hole in them if any, and from what I see, there is a varying amount of wear on the tread plates. If you fix one, you got to fix them all.

But to restore it, find a small freeze plug, and grind the old one flat. The natural curve should be close, so you can weld it in and then grind it smooth, and then drill it through.