HP and Engine Displacement

/ HP and Engine Displacement #1  

Ronster

Gold Member
Tractor
John Deere 2520, John Deere X739, Kubota U27-4, Kubota RTV 500
I noticed that the B7610 has 24hp @ 2600rpm and the B2630 has 26hp @2800 rpm. Both engines have 68.5 cu.in. displacement. Would that mean if you wind the B7610 up 200 extra rpm it would produce 26 hp? I'm assuming the rated engine rpm gives you 540 rpm at the rear PTO.

/ HP and Engine Displacement #2  
Another good one.....

The JD 4115 is rated at 24HP at 2650rpm with a 73.22CI engine.

So does a bigger CI 24HP engine do more work than a 68.5CI 26HP engine? My bet would be yes the 24HP engine will outperform the 26HP, but then that's probably why they don't publish torque which is more important IMO.

Another example of this in gas engines...the Honda vs. Kohler and Kawasaki. The same number HP will show less torque on the Honda from what I have seen.

HP is obviously being used by sales departments.

/ HP and Engine Displacement #3  
I am interested in finding published tractor torque and HP curves.
It is useful when making comparisons to know where the torque and HP occurs in relation to rpms. Never mind the max numbers.
Diesels I'm not sure about but gas jobs typically don't make many ponies untill you rev them up and then only are most powerful in a relatively narrow rpm range.
It may be that torque and HP are incestually related.
There is probably some engineering guru that could suggest a simple way to correlate torque with HP.
There it is, discuss amongst yourselves. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Martin

/ HP and Engine Displacement
I e-mailed Kubota and asked for the torque ratings for the B7610 and B2630. We'll see. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ HP and Engine Displacement #5  
See if the engine is listed here.

Then click on the "Net Intermittent Rating" to see the curves for the engine.

/ HP and Engine Displacement #7  
Dynamometers actually do not measure HP. A dyno measures torque, and then uses a simple formula to calculate HP. hbaird gives the correct formula in his response.

Go to Google, type in "horsepower and torque" and you will get all the engineering/technical discussions you will ever want to read. One of the comments I like best is "Horsepower is what you read about. Torque is what you feel."

/ HP and Engine Displacement #8  
This is a basic question but I have not gotten a clear answer that I can understand. If dynos measure torque then calculate HP why isn't the max. HP and max. torque at the same RPM ? Is this a stupid question ?

/ HP and Engine Displacement #9  
No, it is not a stupid question, most don't understand. All internal combustion engines make both horsepower and torque from idle to the redline or max rpm. Torque increases from idle, as more fuel is added, until the load from pumping air through the engine increases faster than the torque increases. The horsepower will continue to increase until the airflow can not get any greater. Generally speaking you can get more horsepower from a given engine by increasing the ability to reach higher rpm. Torque is best increased by more cubic inches.
Harold

/ HP and Engine Displacement
I thought torque was the turning power or leverage the engine had as it turned the crankshaft. Wouldn't then an engine with a longer stroke have more torque than a same displacement engine with a shorter stroke?