HP ratings for box blades

/ HP ratings for box blades #1  

RJJR

Gold Member
Tractor
2011 Kioti DK45 HST
Still looking for a medium duty 6 foot box blade and have run across the Dirt Dog series. They have 3/8 inch side plates along with other standard features are reasonably priced. They have two lines that I'd consider. The SBX72?50 lbs and the MBX72?40 lbs. My question relates to the reccomended HP for the two blades. They reccomend:

MBX72?40 lbs Horse Power (2wd-4wd) 65 55

SBX72?50 lbs Horse Power (2wd-4wd) 50 40

What is the thinking behind the HP rating? Are they lowballing? I'd have thought a DK45 couild handle it based on other feedeback and posts I've read but these ratings would indicate it is undersized for the MBX. Can it be that much difference in the extra 90 lbs? Do I need to stay away from the MBX? I like the extra weight and the 1/2 wear plates welded to the 3/8 side plates.

Dirt Dog

Thanks

/ HP ratings for box blades #2  
Could that be the Max hp ???? a 15,000 lb 100hp tractor could pull one apart if it hooked into something hard !!!!

I am glad you posted their site, gonna be in the market myself and I see they have several styles. Wish I still had my old Hyd Gannon but......

/ HP ratings for box blades
Bladehauler said:
Could that be the Max hp ???? a 15,000 lb 100hp tractor could pull one apart if it hooked into something hard !!!!

I am glad you posted their site, gonna be in the market myself and I see they have several styles. Wish I still had my old Hyd Gannon but......

Good point. I guess it could be. I was thinking minimum. I'll call later this week to verify if nobody knows.
Thanks

/ HP ratings for box blades #4  
First I think, not know but think, that hp ratings on things like box blades and rear blades are the max power that the blade is designed for not what is neccesary to run it. I could be wrong but that is how I have always understood it. Also those box blade have a striking resemblance to the ones made by Bush Hog. They even have the same(or very similar) numbers and even weights. makes me wonder if one is making the products for the other. either way I think your dk45 would handle either just fine.

/ HP ratings for box blades #5  
Good point. I guess it could be. I was thinking minimum. I'll call later this week to verify if nobody knows.
Thanks
I am pretty sure the ratings are a guideline to buying a blade that you tractor won't bend up, not optimal hp to run the blade.
Anyways I'd recommend the heavier one. I've got a 1100lb 7'er and while sometimes it can stop the tractor, other times the tractor is pulling a full box plus more and can really move some dirt in a few passes. Also it properly balances the tractor for loader work and lets you use the loader on steeper slopes or in 2wd more.

/ HP ratings for box blades #6  
As far as having enough hp to pull either one I don't think you'll have an issue. I have a 7' box blade I use with my landini 1-55 and it pulls it with ease 99% of the time. If I drop it deep into fresh dry clay I can certainly make the tractor work though. On another note I lend it to my neighbor to do his driveway now and then and he pulls it with his Massey 35 gas

/ HP ratings for box blades #7  
That's the max hp so you don't rip it apart. Back blades have the same rating. A tiller or other pto driven attachment will post the minimum hp needed to run it efficiently. For your DK45, get the heavier one.