HST hydraulic filter and fluid change owner's manual inaccuracy

/ HST hydraulic filter and fluid change owner's manual inaccuracy #11  
Thanks for the reply, but that makes sense, and I just want to be sure. I also can't find that fluid-level reservoir!

/ HST hydraulic filter and fluid change owner's manual inaccuracy #12  
Thanks for the reply, but that makes sense, and I just want to be sure. I also can't find that fluid-level reservoir!

The site glass? That is most likely in the back by the 3 pt hitch. Can be hard to find - sometimes have to get in real close.

/ HST hydraulic filter and fluid change owner's manual inaccuracy
Take a look at this attached spreadsheet which graphically shows the problem with the owner's manual's recommendations and reinforces my opinion that the service schedule in the manual is wrong. You will see that at each 1500 hour interval the fluid and the filter are changed together (indicated by the red arrows). You will also note that there are times when you will do two fluid changes between filter changes (green arrow).
  • Logically, a filter change every two fluid changes may make sense (it is a huge filter with great capacity).
  • A filter change every oil change makes sense. If you are taking away dirty or used fluid, change the filter.
  • But intervals which have you change them together sometimes, and at other times go two fluid changes before changing changing the filter does not make sense.
  • And a system that makes it ridiculously impossible or a terrible mess when changing just the filter without giving the owner some idea as to how to do it without creating an environmental mess is just rude or a for-profit scheme to make owners take their tractor to a dealer for service.
  • I cannot imagine a manufacturer wanting you to drain the fluid, change the filter, then replace that drained fluid back into the transmission.
I have been servicing my own (and other peoples) vehicles for 5½ decades. Motorcycles, cars, RVs, power equipment, etc. While this is my first tractor, this sort of maintenance schedule on a fluid change is unique to me. Why change just the fluid but leave over a quart of old fluid in the filter and attached lines? Why remove and drain a used filter and put it back into service? Why have a system without a way to take the filter off and not have the tranny empty itself?
The filter could have been located above the transmission's fluid level would have been nice. A filter large enough to be able to be rated to go 500 miles would have been nicer.

"oil filter wrench drop and walk out of the garage..."

HydFilterChange1.gif

/ HST hydraulic filter and fluid change owner's manual inaccuracy #14  
That is strange to have the schedule set that way. I was specifically told by the dealer that the fluid can go way over 500 hours unless it somehow got contaminated. I would just move those hour figures to coordinate with the filter changes.

/ HST hydraulic filter and fluid change owner's manual inaccuracy
I read some of the earlier posts talking about losing only a small amount of fluid. It could be that the layout of their hydraulic system is different from the one on the MT240HE, but it could be that they are talking about the smaller HST filter if they have the hydrostatic transmission and not the very large Hydraulic Oil Filter.

/ HST hydraulic filter and fluid change owner's manual inaccuracy #16  
I read some of the earlier posts talking about losing only a small amount of fluid. It could be that the layout of their hydraulic system is different from the one on the MT240HE, but it could be that they are talking about the smaller HST filter if they have the hydrostatic transmission and not the very large Hydraulic Oil Filter.
They were probably using the shop vac trick..... basically loosely duct tape the shop vac hose over the dipstick / fill port and turn it on. Then remove the filter... the suction from the vac "pulls" air back through the filter mounting stub.... it will 'gurgle' while doing this, but only a few drops of the fluid will cone out.

There are YouTube videos showing the process.

/ HST hydraulic filter and fluid change owner's manual inaccuracy #17  

I have the same tractor as you and did not use the vacuum trick durring the 50hr service. I did not read up on it either. I lost about 1.5 gallons of oil in the drain pan total after I figured out it's not going to stop untill I put the new filters on. Topped it off with new oil. I bet I'd be able to loose less than a half gallon of oil next time but you only have to worry about this once as it's filter and oil changes frome here on out.

/ HST hydraulic filter and fluid change owner's manual inaccuracy #18  
I have a MT240HE also, the vacuum trick works, you really only lose what's in the filter, the suction keeps the rest of the fluid from pouring out.

/ HST hydraulic filter and fluid change owner's manual inaccuracy #19  
The vacuum trick works on an MT2 25E as well, I only lost a few ounces. The hydraulic oil in the filter I repurposed by pouring it into an empty quart sized oil container and I use it on a rag to wipe my hydraulic cylinders on my tractor, backhoe, etc after using them to prevent corrosion, as I live near salt water. 👍