HST Oil Change: Fact or Fiction?

/ HST Oil Change: Fact or Fiction? #1  

Henro

Tractor
Kubota B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini EX
Hi,

I know many of today's cars do not have the need to change automatic transmission fluid. There may not even be a dipstick to check level?

I just bought another 5 gallon pail super UDT for my Kabota tractors. I now have enough to change the HST fluid in both tractors which I will do.

But I'm wondering after the first initial HST fluid change, which I think is important, if it's really necessary to keep changing the HST fluid at the recommended Intervals.

My recollection is that the fluid that comes out of my HST looks about the same as it did when it went in new.

What do you guys think?

/ HST Oil Change: Fact or Fiction? #2  
I just changed the hydraulic fluid and filter for the first time at the 400hr mark about a fortnight ago. The fluid has slightly discoloured (darker) than the 31 litres of new HyGuard I put in and there were only flecks of filings in the filter. The tractor, perceptively, works better now with the new fluid.

Ideally, I have piece of mind that there is nothing wrong or potentially wrong going on with my HST system.

To me, replacing the fluid & filter at the recommended maintenance hours will (hopefully) catch a minor problem before it gets major or catastrophic.

/ HST Oil Change: Fact or Fiction? #3  
As you already know, that first change at 50 hours is extremely important.

Since a HST doesn't have contact with ignition carbon it stays pretty clean looking. However, heat and hard use will deplete the additives and protection features of the oil. Choosing to use a high quality oil, as you have done, is important.

Nowadays, Kubota is recommending extended HST oil changes with a filter change in between. Apparently, the oil is of higher quality now. But the necessity of a filter change is a concern. It sounds like Kubota recognizes that there will be gunk, filings, chips, and whatever in the fluid on down the line. A filter won't get every speck.

Personally, I change the oil whenever a filter is changed. The price of the oil can be a shock, but in a relative sense, it is cheap compared to repairs. Two of my tractors use 15 gallons each and Amsoil is used in the backhoe but it is an expense that I'm willing to pay for insurance.

The choice is up to you, of course.

/ HST Oil Change: Fact or Fiction? #4  
In many of today's cars auto transmissions may have a lifetime fill, but the oil doesn't last that long. If you own one, change the fluid and filter, regardless of the recommendations, if you want the transmission to last...

/ HST Oil Change: Fact or Fiction? #5  
I put Super UDT2 in my Kubota M9540. I plan to run thru a couple pairs of filters before I consider changing the fluid again.

With that said, if your tractor has rear remotes and you use them frequently you risk contamination. Also if you borrow the neighbors equipment you certainly cross contaminated your fluid with whatever he uses.

It's my opinion that maintaining the filters is much more important than changing the fluids.

/ HST Oil Change: Fact or Fiction? #6  
I am not pessimistic to the point of thinking Kubota (and this is probably the same for other makes) recommends their fluid and filter changes at the intervals they do for monetary gain. As was noted, it is "cheap" insurance, and tractors just seem to operated better, and quieter, with fresh Super UDT 2. Or at least, we like to think so.

/ HST Oil Change: Fact or Fiction? #7  
It depends greatly on how you use your tractor.

Hydraulic fluid doesn't "wear out". So, unless it's contaminated, there is no good reason to change it.

The hard work here is mostly over. My tractor is now on light duty, and only used occasionally for maintenance, and snow plowing. It does not see much dirt. And, is stored indoors.

I may change the filter at some point, but, I doubt I will ever change the fluid again.

If it sat out, was working dirt all the time, and or used a lot, that would be different.

/ HST Oil Change: Fact or Fiction? #8  
Many years ago, I was a heavy equipment service technician. I had the privilege of talking to several factory service zone managers of major equipment manufacturers as well as work side by side with factory engineers who came to the shop in support of prototype machines they were doing field tests of.

That experience showed me that the factory recommendations they publish in their owners manuals is not intended to increase sales of oil and filters. It is based on many millions of hours of testing over a wide range of conditions. You can be comfortable that if you follow the recommended service intervals outlined in the owners manual that you will get many years of reliable service from your equipment.

/ HST Oil Change: Fact or Fiction? #9  
Heat and wear particles from the oil bath disc brakes would be enough to make me change every time, whole lot cheaper than a new hydro!

/ HST Oil Change: Fact or Fiction? #10  
Heat and wear particles from the oil bath disc brakes would be enough to make me change every time, whole lot cheaper than a new hydro!

I rarely use the brakes on my HST tractor. Just let go of the pedal or switch direction.