HST tranny's in the cold???

/ HST tranny's in the cold??? #1  

jgrreed

Platinum Member
Tractor
JD 4720
Hi,

I just noticed JD offers a tranny warmer on their options page. I'm wondering a couple things.

1. Do any on you with HST drive machine have a transmission fluid warmer/heater to plug it in prior to use in the cold??

2. Is there any harm done in not having one? I'm always gentle on my machine in the cold for the first 5 to 10 minutes of use anyway.

3. Does the tranny 'warmup' while the tractor is idling, or does it need to be in motion to actually be 'warming up'??

Thanks,

-Jer.

/ HST tranny's in the cold??? #2  
Well I've never had an issue with it being too cold. It may get to single digits around here a few times in January. I've never used a heater. I just let it idle for a few minutes before using the tractor and go easy the first five to ten minutes. The fluid wont really heat up until you start using the tractor. I see you're in the great white north how cold does it get? I'd think if it gets down to single digits a heater might not be a bad idea. What does you manual say regarding cold weather operation?

M.D.

/ HST tranny's in the cold???
Well I've never had an issue with it being too cold. It may get to single digits around here a few times in January. I've never used a heater. I just let it idle for a few minutes before using the tractor and go easy the first five to ten minutes. The fluid wont really heat up until you start using the tractor. I see you're in the great white north how cold does it get? I'd think if it gets down to single digits a heater might not be a bad idea. What does you manual say regarding cold weather operation?

M.D.

It can occasionally get to -40 deg C (-40deg F), but usually about -10 degC (14deg F).

The manual.....good idea!! This TBN thing has become so easy to get answers on that I forgot about that.

I was out last night at about 5deg F and the tranny ran a bit sluggish for the first 10 minutes or so, but then was fine. I had the engine block heater plugged in all day and it started like it was the middle of summer!!

-Jer.

/ HST tranny's in the cold??? #4  
Shoot the easiest way to solve that problem is to move south about 200 miles. Frost your cookies off with that kind of cold! :eek:

/ HST tranny's in the cold??? #5  
move south about 200 miles

He'll still get the same temperatures.:D

A warm transmission may be easier to turn over in cold weather. Warm initial fluid will not hurt in any case.:D

/ HST tranny's in the cold??? #6  
I was hoping 200 miles would get him down around Arizona or someplace like that with decent winter temps.. You artic Circle folks I take my hat off to you!:D

/ HST tranny's in the cold??? #7  
He's gotta spend a couple of days or maybe three driving to get to Arizona.:D

/ HST tranny's in the cold???
Well not quite arctic circle, but it can be chilly. It actually makes summer more enjoyable..... not kidding. I grew up in Saskatchewan which can have stretches (2+weeks) of -25 to -30 degC anytime from November 'til April. I now live just east of the Rockies and get the 'Chinook' effect (not sure if Wyoming and Colorado get those or not) so it can be -25C today, and +15C tomorrow (no exaggeration). Then there's a melt, and it's muddy, and it feels like spring, in January!!!

A small part of me actually misses getting snow in November, and it staying 'til early May!! Weird I know, but......

IMO Christmas should be white, fall should smell like harvest and have every color imaginable in the trees, spring should have that 'spring' smell, I should have snow to push around with my 4720, and I hope my kids (when they come) will always be able to skate on the pond!!

Google maps says 1902 miles to Phoenix......

How did this become a weather forum??

-Jer.