HST vs. Gear

/ HST vs. Gear #11  
If you are going to use a FEL, HST is the way to go. I've used a gear tranny doing bucket work for several hours, and I felt it in my leg for a while thereafter. If you are going to do mostly pulling or mowing, then it's probably not as much of an issue.

/ HST vs. Gear #12  
I have a gear transmission with a shuttle shift. I have done FEL work for 6 hours before and not had a problem. I have also help the neighbor move stone into his foundation. He has a hydro me a gear and I moved as much as he did in the same amount of time. It really boils down to what you prefer,what you can afford,What you fill comfortable with, And how long you intend to keep it( resale value). Good luck with whatever you chose. Either way you have a tractor. : /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gifD /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif Lots of Happy Tractoring /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

/ HST vs. Gear #13  
I have an HST and honestly wonder why a gear shift would ever be "better". I like shifting gears too but the HST pedal is so convenient. Where am I going to be at a disadvantage with HST assuming I am happy with PTO power?

/ HST vs. Gear #14  
Probably when pulling a set of rippers through the soil. The gear drives just seem to do a quicker job of it. For all around use, either work well, for farm type work where you are pulling heavy loads, particlarly ground engaging implements, I think a manual is still the smarter choice. My needs are very general in nature (mowing, boxblade, loader use) so a HST transmission works out well.

/ HST vs. Gear #15  
<font color="blue"> Where am I going to be at a disadvantage with HST assuming I am happy with PTO power? </font>

Maybe field work, pulling a plow, stuff like that.

Our mid-to-late 70's IH2500B is an HST with 50PTO HP. So, it is about 30 years old. The tranny still works fine. The rest of the unit is in rapid decay, but the tranny works fine. I think it is protected by all that oil in there. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

/ HST vs. Gear #16  
Diesel Boy -

In addition to the other fine comments posted thus far - I'd also throw on one additional factor: warm-up time.

I know central Maine gets darn cold in Winter - a gear (tranny) would likely not require (much) additional warm-up than than recommended for the engine - the tranny oil doesn't get pumped around - it just lubricates.

I definitely take it slow on my HST for the first few minutes AFTER engine warm up when using my CUT in winter - as I want the tranny / hydraulic fluid to come up in temp (ie lower viscosity) some before going crazy. As my CUT is *mainly* a summer use (ie mower / hauler) - this extra time isn't a big deal for me.

While gears have been around for the longest time - a post (couldn't find it with search - but HERE was a similar discussion) - had someone quoting 20,000+ hrs of runtime on a HST (non-tractor) with no major problems - so I think that in both cases (HST & gear) - that regular maintenance is simply the key to longevity in either case.

Just to throw in my personal 2 cents:

I recently rented a larger, gear-driven Deere (4700) TLB to do some stumping - this was my 3rd rental of the same piece of equipment in 3 years - but the first since I've had my Kubota B7610 (HST). I had no problems handling it during any of the rentals - but now with 1 1/2 yrs on the HST - I preferred the HST for FEL work - being able to approach a load "at speed" - and then slow to a crawl to engage it - then zip backwards etc. - all without shifting. I had to "work" more (ex clutch) to control speed as I engaged the load - else I got jostled around a bit in my seat. (crappy gear-driving by a hydro-driver some might say! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif )

I do prefer the 3 gear-ranges of the Deere rather than just Hi-Lo of my Kubota - and feel the gear has "better" traction (ie better with ground-engaging implements) when trying to move around heavy items (stones / stumps) - and I like the "toe throttle" that the Deere has to increase the engine rpms whenever needed.

So I believe that - durability wise - all things should be equal - and the primary, intended task / job for your tractor should dictate which way to go.

Happy hunting!

Dan

/ HST vs. Gear #17  
I guess I'll add my 'nail' to the board. (disclaimer: I'm a gear/clutch kind of guy.. )

Test drive both, Get whichever you and your wallet prefer.

I think the other points have been pretty well hammered out.

FEL work seems to go hand in hand with HST.. though seems a shuttle works just as good.

Constant ground engaging work, IMHO I would rather perform with a gear drive... just simply because there is less loss from the gear to gear xfer, vs the slightly less efficient fluid coupling.

Maint costs? as others pointed out.. tranny oil changes and an extra filter would be a little more important to me if I had an HST tranny.. vs a gear tranny. As for repair.. IMHO.. given normal wear and tear... the gear tranny will probably hit you up for a few clutch jobs in its lifetime, and the hst will probably run till it stops.. then need a repair that will cost much more than a clutch job.. etc.

I don't doubt that a well manitained hst tranny will go for a long time.. though I do believe that super long lifespan is still waiting to be determined. On the other hand.. I own and drive gear machines in the 60 year old range..so I'm fairly comfortable with that setup. Another repair issue is the 'shade tree' factor. I can swing a gear tranny in a tree and R&R it with a few tools and an exploded parts diagram. I think I'd fall a bit short trying to R&R a hst tranny.. in fact.. don't think I'd even try. For this very same reason, I've avoided ford SOS trannies....

Have fun. get what you want. If you plan to sell the tractor at any point.. don't worry about life span.. it will be somebody else's problem /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Soundguy

/ HST vs. Gear #18  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( murph:
The agricultural might of this country was founded and built by people with gear transmissions and the ability to operate a clutch. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Bob
)</font>

Bob,

I am not really sure how to take your comment. If your just making a joke about what I said fine, that's your opinion. If your making light of whether I can handle a clutch or not I can only say to you, that I am a lot older than what you may think. I grew up on Ford 8N's and Farmall M's. I used John Deere A's, B's, D's, G's and even the old case with the hand clutches. I drove many a tractor with no power steering. When I was around 20 I was in a bad car accident and had pins and a cast on my leg for over two years. But yet I was still out there driving the Farmall M raking and baling hay. The Farmall M was probably the heaviest clutch out there and I drove it with a cast up to my knee. I also drove truck over the road for about 5 years. I know how to handle a clutch. But your comment about the country being built by gears is idiotic. There is many things this country was founded on but we don't use it today anymore or we would still be farming with horses. HST versus Gears is and should always be up to the individual. If you want a gear, get it, but don't be-little me if I like Hydro.

Again, if you just making a snied remark, forget what I said, if your commenting about my abilities shame on you.

murph

/ HST vs. Gear #19  
Murph,

I think Bob was just trying to be funny. When I first read it, I kind of blink a few times, and then said.. "Na... he can't be that big of an ego maniac.... He is trying to make us lighten up and laugh a little". Kind of like, "if you can't shift a manual tranny without using a clutch, you are a sissy. Back in my day, I used to walk to school up hill 10 miles in the snow, both ways, etc, etc, etc.. Why if you can't figure out how to use a manual transmission and a clutch then you need to just give up tractor entirely and just go pay someone to do the work for you.. etc. etc. etc."

/ HST vs. Gear #20  
Don't give it any thought, murph. No offense intended. I just thought it would be funny, seeing the direction the thread was taking, to rephrase your signature line.

Sounds like we're the same vintage....not a stranger to any of that equipment you mentioned....well, maybe the JD G.
Bob