Huge oak fell!

/ Huge oak fell!
Only invasive thing we have here is privet, poison ivy, poison sumac, poison oak, wild grape, honeysuckle, poke berry, thistle, chickweed, periwinkle, johnson grass, assorted ivys, knotweed, bamboo, crabgrass, locust, paradise, and about 100 other things.

/ Huge oak fell! #52  
Only invasive thing we have here is privet, poison ivy, poison sumac, poison oak, wild grape, honeysuckle, poke berry, thistle, chickweed, periwinkle, johnson grass, assorted ivys, knotweed, bamboo, crabgrass, locust, paradise, and about 100 other things.
Sounds like a nature preserve.

/ Huge oak fell! #53  
No, I am burning oak that was down 2 years before I cut it up. All the bark fell off,
Not sure if you do this or not.

I save all the oak bark when I split wood. Then use it in my BBQ for meat-- gives a great smoky flavor to whatever you cook ...

/ Huge oak fell! #54  
You forgot to mention Bradford pears and their off-shoots. LOL.

/ Huge oak fell! #55  
Not sure if you do this or not.

I save all the oak bark when I split wood. Then use it in my BBQ for meat-- gives a great smoky flavor to whatever you cook ...
Never used oak....and most the other "smoking" woods....bark isnt really desirable.

Having burned alot of oak....it doesnt seem too aromatic for me to want to try and smoke meat with. My go-to's are apple and cherry.

/ Huge oak fell! #56  
My go-to's are apple and cherry.
I have some mature/downed apple trees I am cleaning up right now. So I will give that a try.

But if you feel like it, give 100% oak bark a try in place of bbq briquets. I think you will like it. :D

/ Huge oak fell! #58  
I have some mature/downed apple trees I am cleaning up right now. So I will give that a try.

But if you feel like it, give 100% oak bark a try in place of bbq briquets. I think you will like it. :D
Might have to try that but the majority of oak around here that I have access to is either red oak or pin oak. Both have a very thin bark

/ Huge oak fell! #59  
Never used oak....and most the other "smoking" woods....bark isnt really desirable.

Having burned alot of oak....it doesnt seem too aromatic for me to want to try and smoke meat with. My go-to's are apple and cherry.
Or pear. LOL. (see earlier reply)...

Great for pork.

/ Huge oak fell! #60  
You may have just answered that age old question about a tree falling in the forest with nobody around to hear it... :D
Well, at least I got your original joke.
Madrone (arbutus menziasii) is the premium firewood. Lights easy, burns hot, leaves a good coal with little ash, and is clean to handle with no moss, bugs, or bark. It also grows like a freaking weed, so there is no shortage. I have reformed my ways and am cutting madrone this winter.
Is it something that's very regional to your area? Never heard of it before, never even seen it on any those lists that rank firewood (of which usually 2/3 is stuff that doesn't grow around here).