Husky walk behind surging

/ Husky walk behind surging #1  

handirifle

Veteran Member
Tractor
Massey Ferguson 1010
I have a Husky (Sears model) that I have owned for about 6 years now. I has been a strong mower (6.5HP B&S) and a real workhorse. I have had to go through the carb, due to crappy fuel, and had it running great. Now, however, it surges terribly when it runs. It's gotten very hard to start, without starting fluid. The surging is very odd. When running, it will run normal speed for 1-1.5 seconds, then die off momentarily, the repeat. I does it so bad, the last time I mowed, it sounded like a rod knocking. I have the blade of the bottom, cause I thought some of the drive mechanism was the source of the noise, but that is not so.

I have gone through the carb AGAIN and cleaned it, and blown all orifices clear, I think. It also backfires a bit as well. When manually operating the throttle, it will rev to max RPM and hold it, but still surging.

I have some theories, but not sure.

I have not replaced the rubber "O" ring between carb and motor, it seems OK, but wondering if an air leak might be my issue.

I also am wondering about the governor but that shouldn't cause a back fire I wouldn't think.

The plug was showing a very light color, indicating lean, thus the first theory.

I am not sure how that ignition system works so no theories on that one.

This surging is not minor either, it's almost violent at times.

Suggestions? Thanks

/ Husky walk behind surging
Oh I forgot to mention, that I have also tried a 50-50 mixture of seafoam/gas to try to clean the carb, with little improvement, even after going to 100% gas again.

/ Husky walk behind surging #3  
I know it's pretty discouraging to having spent so much effort, and only to discover that you haven't solved the problem yet. BT-DT. In fact, I once gave away a perfectly good Honda mower for the same problem, to a neighbor. He did get the carb cleaned, put an in-line filter on it, and is probably still using it - smiling all the time.

My best un-educated suggestion is that the problem is still in your carb. Those little orifices are so difficult to get clear. And the least bit of trash or fuel residue will totally bring havoc to the way it runs.

The only fix that I've found has been to soak the carb overnight in a carburetor cleaner, then run it through a few cycles on a sonic cleaner. After that, gently air blow through every orifice and re-assemble it with new O-rings and gaskets. The alternative, of course, is to replace the carb with a $40 new one.

/ Husky walk behind surging #4  
The alternative, of course, is to replace the carb with a $40 new one.

If you do decide to replace the carb with a new one buy one for the same series of motor only for an older motor. From before the epa got involved. Older carbs still have adjustable idle jets which go a long ways towards being able to make your engine run better. Adjustable also means removable which makes cleaning so much easier.

Yea I have suspected there might be still something in the carb, thus the 50-50 sea foam run. My success with carbs is about 50-50 as well LOL.

$40 isn't too bad. When I look for numbers on the engine, to find a replacement carb, what exactly am I looking for, and where are some sources to find a replacement carb?

/ Husky walk behind surging #6  
I've had excellent success using Seafoam in carbs to fix surging and improper idle problems.

Ralph

I have tried seafoam on it before and has worked, but not this time.

/ Husky walk behind surging #8  
I usually look for a model number on the carb and google it. eBay works for me but there are other sources too. Something like "carburator for a 12 hp Briggs and Stratton engine?" works too.

OK I ordered one from Ebay. $18.95 shipped, for a new one including the o ring and gasket. The gasket is the one that goes between the filter/primer bulb housing and the carb. I just bought the gasket itself, cause they always tear, locally for $4. I got a new gasket, o ring and carb, for $18.95. Pretty crazy.

/ Husky walk behind surging #10  
OK I ordered one from Ebay. $18.95 shipped, for a new one including the o ring and gasket. The gasket is the one that goes between the filter/primer bulb housing and the carb. I just bought the gasket itself, cause they always tear, locally for $4. I got a new gasket, o ring and carb, for $18.95. Pretty crazy.

You snagged a good deal on the carb. I've been buying from eReplacementParts.com or PartsTree.com. Both are about the same prices, and ship promptly. The bulbs and fuel lines don't seem to last me very long, so I keep a some on hand. I'm sure it's the ethanol mix in the gas.

Hopefully I can get by this year without having to replace anything on my mower, chainsaw, and string trimmers. I've recently found a source for non-ethanol gas (at a 10-cents/gal premium), so I picked up 25 gallons yesterday. Hopefully that'll last me through the summer.

I do think the carb replacement is going to fix your problem. And BTW - you did a heck of a lot better than I did last year when I bought an $84 carb for my wood chipper! yeah - I know... I was ripped big time :-(

Let us know if the carb replacement was the fix or not.