Huslter Mini Z

/ Huslter Mini Z #1  

Alan L.

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota B2710
I have read some of the previous ZTR threads, but wanted to get feedback on a couple of things.

How do you like your Hustler ZTR - really specifically I am looking at the Mini Z 52" with Kawasaki engine.

Also, the 52" mini-Z comes with either 19HP or 23HP Kawasaki. The only ones I have found left at dealers are 19HP but wonder if I should really try to find a 23 for a few hundred more. My understanding is the engines are the same displacement but I guess the 23 gets its additional HP and torque from a bigger carb.

The reason I am looking at Hustler is it seems to get good reviews for handling and ride, and Mrs. Alan L., who does most of the "little" mowing is only 4'11" and seemed to handle that one fine. Its the only one we have demo'd so far.

She normally mows about 2 acres probably, but seems every time she mows the "yard" becomes bigger and bigger out of the 24 acres, so we really don't know how much we'll end up mowing on a regular basis.

The prices I am seeing for the 19 HP are from $6000-$6800.

Last edited:
   / Huslter Mini Z #2  
I recently purchased a used SuperZ with the Kawasaki 25hp engine - I think the smallest available on the SuperZ. No lack of horsepower for my needs. This is an incredibly powerful and fast machine. Mine was pretty used and the engine was knocking but was able to get it repaired and so far so good. Great eqmt. -- you might also check lawnsite and lawncafe forums for more info - Hustler reps monitor the Hustler forums.

/ Huslter Mini Z #3  
A friend of mine that lives in your county has the 19hp 52" Mini Z. He bought it in April or May and has 60 something hrs on it now.

The kids do most of the mowing since it is like riding a go-cart so he doesn't get much seat time on it.

He paid 6500.00 with flex forks and the new flex seat also he got the mulching kit which he has not used yet since he likes the way it cuts now.

Needless to say he likes the mower.

/ Huslter Mini Z
The original dealer I checked had the '07 model Mini Z 19 HP Kaw for $6799 (MSRP $7999). He has the '08s "in the back" and is not offering to sell them yet. There is another dealer only 10 miles further that has the '08 model for $6499, he says they went up more than $400 from '07 and he has no '07s. Also the dealer with the '07 mower has his mowers out in the weather and they are not clean and spiffy like new mowers although they are probably fine. The dealer with '08s has his mowers inside. He says he would add $199 for flex forks and $249 for foldable ROPs and install both for free.

I was thinking of offering $6000 for the '07 that has been in the weather (plus ROPS and flex forks). He probably won't take it.

Sounds like there really no need going for the 23 HP. The second dealer quoted $6999 ($500 more) for the 23 HP and said he would have to order it. Says he has been selling the 19s to commercial users and has had no complaints about the power.

Both of them have 6 months no interest, or 1.9% if you wanted to finance it past 6 mo.

/ Huslter Mini Z
wushaw said:
A friend of mine that lives in your county has the 19hp 52" Mini Z. He bought it in April or May and has 60 something hrs on it now.

The kids do most of the mowing since it is like riding a go-cart so he doesn't get much seat time on it.

He paid 6500.00 with flex forks and the new flex seat also he got the mulching kit which he has not used yet since he likes the way it cuts now.

Needless to say he likes the mower.

Sounds like my prices are a little high, although I am told the "08 models go up by $400+.

/ Huslter Mini Z #6  
I've got the 52"/19hp KAW. There are 2 things I hate about this mower:

#1) Not near enough motor. If you're set on this mower...get the 23hp.

#2) Deck too shallow. It's just under 4". If you plan on cutting above 3" high, plan on double cutting. Deck doesn't provide enough lift.

I'll be replacing this mower before next March most likely and won't be going with the same brand if that tells you anything. I don't have a problem with the company, just a few issues with the dealer. Service and letting every mower sit out in the sun and rain for who knows how long.

/ Huslter Mini Z
Scooby, thanks for that inside information.

/ Huslter Mini Z
Scooby:

As for the 4" deck depth on the mini z, is there a problem with quality of cut in general, or is this mainly a mulching issue?

I took a look at Scag, but they are about $1000 more for similar configuration. I actually really loved the look of the Wildcat with 26HP liquid cooled Kawasaki and 54 inch deck, but it is $7999 compared to about $7250 for the mini z with 23HP Kawasaki, air cooled. The dealer that had the 19HP Mini Z has it without ROPS for $6500 but wants $6999 for the same mower with 23HP, add another $250 for ROPS and thats about $7250. So perhaps the more HP and liquid cooling on the Scag would be worth it, but 26HP seems overkill for a 54" and I don't really want liquid cooling, just something else to maintain.

I was especially impressed with the Scag spindle assemblies with the tapered bearings, whereas the Hustler mini z has sealed bearings. However the Hustler has a better warranty overall including lifetime on hydraulic hoses (guaranteed to never leak) whereas the Scag has a 90-day warranty on the hydraulic lines.

None of this means anything however if the Hustler 4" deck is no good, because we will be mowing grass that is 6" or higher, not thick turf grass usually but some of it might be that tall.

/ Huslter Mini Z #9  
Alan L. said:
Scooby:

As for the 4" deck depth on the mini z, is there a problem with quality of cut in general, or is this mainly a mulching issue?

I took a look at Scag, but they are about $1000 more for similar configuration. I actually really loved the look of the Wildcat with 26HP liquid cooled Kawasaki and 54 inch deck, but it is $7999 compared to about $7250 for the mini z with 23HP Kawasaki, air cooled. The dealer that had the 19HP Mini Z has it without ROPS for $6500 but wants $6999 for the same mower with 23HP, add another $250 for ROPS and thats about $7250. So perhaps the more HP and liquid cooling on the Scag would be worth it, but 26HP seems overkill for a 54" and I don't really want liquid cooling, just something else to maintain.

I was especially impressed with the Scag spindle assemblies with the tapered bearings, whereas the Hustler mini z has sealed bearings. However the Hustler has a better warranty overall including lifetime on hydraulic hoses (guaranteed to never leak) whereas the Scag has a 90-day warranty on the hydraulic lines.

None of this means anything however if the Hustler 4" deck is no good, because we will be mowing grass that is 6" or higher, not thick turf grass usually but some of it might be that tall.

I never mulch, always side discharge.

If I were you I would definitely demo anything you are considering purchasing. If the dealer will not let you demo, do to the next one. THAT is the only way to see if the mower will work in your situation.

If I cut at 3"+, it leaves a good bit of grass and have to double cut. If I am cutting at less than 3", it's not as bad...but still not what I would like.

/ Huslter Mini Z #10  
If I cut at 3"+, it leaves a good bit of grass and have to double cut. If I am cutting at less than 3", it's not as bad...but still not what I would like.[/QUOTE]

I live south of Dallas about 30 miles. I have a 19 hp MiniZ.
I agree with Scooby and sounds like the same results. If I mow with the deck set over 3" it does not do very well. That is using the factory mulch kit or not. Where it really has problems is with the taller thin weeds we get here at times, it will miss them set at 3"'s and above.
I will say that if I lower it to 2 3/4" it will get everything in one pass. I would just prefer not to mow the lawn that short. I would have never thought lowering the deck 1/4" would make that much difference.
If I had it to do over again I would certainly look at other mowers. Since I already bought it I will live with it.
I think Hustler dropped the MiniZ and now makes the Fastrac superduty with a 54" deck. You might see if the deck is changed for the better on it.