Comparison Husqvarna GT48DXLS Compared to John Deere

/ Husqvarna GT48DXLS Compared to John Deere #211  
Because of my experience with my Craftsman (Husqvarna) and its amazing cut quality as well as its power/performance/reliability... It would be really hard to talk me into another brand. We pulled paperwork on it last week and my model year in my signature is off by one year, we bought it in 2010. So 8 years and 600 hours and this photo is how it cuts while averaging 5.5 mph. It's fast, it cuts like a samurai, and unlike a wife... It hardly ever needs even the slightest attention. Fill it up with fresh Amsoil each year, sharpen the blades monthly and replace annually, grease it every 2nd or 3rd use, throttle it up to the max and let the thing eat! IMG_20180515_190450078_HDR.jpegIMG_20180523_183755559.jpeg

/ Husqvarna GT48DXLS Compared to John Deere #212  
I would LOVE to know how the H tractors with baggers really perform. I've looked at most of the offerings, Kubota, CC, JD, H, etc. I'm just looking for a lawn cutting/bagging tool that performs.

I have the Husqvarna GT48DXLS. Also a Cyclone Rake and also the 7 bushel bagger that fits the mower. I'm pleased with the operation of all of them but I have noticed one quirk which is something you might check on your JD unit. The "vacuum" function into the Cyclone Rake bag doesn't work as well at a cut height of 2 1/2 inches or higher. At 2 inch cut height or less, it works really well. So you might try using your JD with power flow at a lower cut height and see if that improves the vacuum capability.

On my lawn, this works flawlessly except for one issue. One a moderately steep slope I can get scalping with a cut height of too low. So if I am cutting side slope I raise cut height to make up for this and lose a little vacuum suction. It's not really a big deal-- I could cut up/down if I was that worried about it-- this only is an issue when cutting on a sideslope going with the terrain.

I thought I would only use the Cyclone Rake in leaf season and use the smaller bagger over the summer for grass clippings. But I'm finding I just leave the Cyclone Rake attached and operational since it is such a better bagger. I can do my entire lawn and then go dump clippings just one time instead of 3-4 times like before. I like to dump the clippings a long way from the house so only making one trip is desirable.

With a full load in the Cyclone Rake bag you need to be a little careful about driving. If you get on too much side slope the weight of the trailer behind you can start steering you in directions you don't want to go ... LOL.

Good luck with trying lower cutting heights on your JD. I think their X380 mower is fine, but overpriced for today's market. I don't know anything about how the powerflow unit performs but I think the Cyclone Rake setup is pretty hard to beat.

/ Husqvarna GT48DXLS Compared to John Deere #213  
Question, what's the reason you guys bag? I've never considered it, I just mow and go.

Are you letting your grass grow really thick and bagging it because you've lost control?

I cut every 4-5 days in this rain season, but you don't see any clippings, and I'm not mulching.

IMG_20180515_190450078_HDR.jpeg

IMG_20180523_183755559.jpeg

/ Husqvarna GT48DXLS Compared to John Deere #214  
My answer about bagging is easy. I'm surrounded with trees of many varieties, including oaks with diameters measured in feet. Lots of debris.

In leaf season, my lawn is covered in leaves that can quickly accumulate to more than a foot tall. One pass through with the mower and Cyclone Rake and it turns from a sea of leaves to a strip of bright green.

In summer, I like the look of a newly cut and vacuumed lawn. I can't cut on a regular schedule due to commitments elsewhere, so if I come back to cut 2 weeks later it's a big job. If you add some downed branches plus some tall grass, if I mulched and left it there it would look terrible.

/ Husqvarna GT48DXLS Compared to John Deere #215  
My lawn looks similar to the pic Rock Crawler posted, I'm cutting every 5-6 days this time of season, I just prefer bagging. I only have about 1/2 acre in grass, the rest of the property is heavily wooded. Oh, I ordered a Cyclone Rake for my 380x last year to deal with my leaves. CR insisted it would work with the power flow system, I get it, no dice, no way to attach it. I called them back and the guy I spoke with that time admitted he didn't believe it would work on my application so I returned it. They insisted I put it back in the boxes. Remember assembling yours? Now imagine tearing it back apart and trying to put it back in all the boxes, another nightmare, especially the large frame box. And plowhog is correct, my 'vacuum' is somewhat better if I really lower the deck, but that's too short for my tastes. thanks all.

/ Husqvarna GT48DXLS Compared to John Deere #216  
Johnkn, it's your money, do with it as you please but assuming they aren't going to fix it is, at least in my eyes, throwing it away. You're going to take a big hit selling/ trading your x380. If it's not working right then that's only going to hurt your wallet even more. If you don't like the x380 then you certainly should get something else. The Husky mowers were tops on my list. I love the engineered deck. The pressed steel is much harder to repair when things start to rust in 10 to 20 years whereas the engineered one would be easy. If I didn't happen to find a low hour year old x500 I probably would have the GT48DXLS (if I could of found one). The few who have them seam to like them.

My x500 came with mulching blades but not the mulching kit for the deck. The result was that it wouldn't throw the cuttings out the chute very well. With the standard blades that problem was solved. I remember reading about another person with a Deere who didn't have the correct nuts on the deck lift arms and would always loosen up causing one side of the deck to drop. Once he got it to the dealer they figured it out and since then he was much happier.

/ Husqvarna GT48DXLS Compared to John Deere #217  
It’s hard to find someone who hates their Husqvarna, I have owned 3 of them and used at least 1 or 2 more and liked them all. I bought a 19hp 42in ariens hydrostatic drive mower from Home Depot for my mom, I bush hogged trails and cut 3 acres weekly with that mower and it’s still going strong, bought it in 2011, just an oil change, every two years ariens sends out new blades, every 4-5 years it needs a battery and seems like every year it eats a deck drive belt, other than that it’s all original.

My first mower was Husqvarna when I bought my house (GT2454T gave $800 for it), used it for over a year, sold it for $1200, bought a GT52XLS for $1800 with 93 hours on it, sold it for $2000 with 100h on it and bought a 1999 JD 455 for $2400 with 1190h on the clock.

I love the yanmar diesel but I miss the Husqvarna’s, they seemed a bit more comfortable and fun to drive.

The yanmar has incredible torq and sips fuel, I’m happy with it but I was also happy with every Husqvarna mower I have ever owned or ran.

Seems like people have too high of expectations for their JD and get mad at the name when they snap into reality where people under estimate the Husqvarna because of the sticker price and it far exceeds their expectations.

IMG_8721.JPGIMG_8731.JPGIMG_9981.JPGIMG_9976.JPGIMG_9990.JPGIMG_0070.JPGIMG_0433.JPGIMG_9997.JPGIMG_0701.JPGIMG_0787.JPGIMG_0785.JPG

/ Husqvarna GT48DXLS Compared to John Deere #218  
I have been looking for a new mower. Went to look at JD mowers and it seems that all the dealers within about 75 miles only sell them because they have to. Couldn't really get any straight answers from any of them. Then I came across this post and thought what the heck. Most of my power tools are Husqvarna and they've been good to me. So I went to a couple dealers and found nothing that I liked. Lowes had a couple but they were an the small size and I prefer something a little beefier. Finally contacted a dealer near my sons home and he said he thought he had a couple that would suit my desires. So, I made the 70 mile trip and ended up buying a TS354XD.

Finally got it home by borrowing my son's trailer. Mine just seemed too big to haul all that way and it saved $125 delivery fee because I am outside their territory.

We have had a really bad wet spell for the past three weeks. Rains almost every night. That along with some health issues and suddenly I've got grass up to 24 inches tall. My grass is really an accumulation of various forms of vegetation. Nothing specific by when mowed it actually looks like grass. I normally cut most of it with the finish mower on my Mahidra but it is cumbersome getting between the house and 5 outbuildings.

The TS is amazing. I have never had a garden tractor that would go through this type of stuff so easily. It has the fabbed deck and blows cuttings further than any mower I've ever operated. Maneuverability and power to spare. Cruise control, which I don't use but had to try, hydro transmission, very comfy seat with arm rests, and a great looking cut . I love it. My wife said it's the first mower I've ever had that she can hear while she's i the house. It sounds like a jet on a carrier. Cool toy.

/ Husqvarna GT48DXLS Compared to John Deere #219  
I have been looking for a new mower. Went to look at JD mowers and it seems that all the dealers within about 75 miles only sell them because they have to. Couldn't really get any straight answers from any of them. Then I came across this post and thought what the heck. Most of my power tools are Husqvarna and they've been good to me. So I went to a couple dealers and found nothing that I liked. Lowes had a couple but they were an the small size and I prefer something a little beefier. Finally contacted a dealer near my sons home and he said he thought he had a couple that would suit my desires. So, I made the 70 mile trip and ended up buying a TS354XD.

Finally got it home by borrowing my son's trailer. Mine just seemed too big to haul all that way and it saved $125 delivery fee because I am outside their territory.

We have had a really bad wet spell for the past three weeks. Rains almost every night. That along with some health issues and suddenly I've got grass up to 24 inches tall. My grass is really an accumulation of various forms of vegetation. Nothing specific by when mowed it actually looks like grass. I normally cut most of it with the finish mower on my Mahidra but it is cumbersome getting between the house and 5 outbuildings.

The TS is amazing. I have never had a garden tractor that would go through this type of stuff so easily. It has the fabbed deck and blows cuttings further than any mower I've ever operated. Maneuverability and power to spare. Cruise control, which I don't use but had to try, hydro transmission, very comfy seat with arm rests, and a great looking cut . I love it. My wife said it's the first mower I've ever had that she can hear while she's i the house. It sounds like a jet on a carrier. Cool toy.

Thanks for your comment. The new TS Line has kicked it up several notches. I am now looking at the TS 3xxXD.

I have had the opportunity to set back and look at the market over several years. While I love my John Deere's and in fact own 2 of them, the reality is the Husq line offers for more bang for the buck. I do look forward to buying one hopefuly this year but it's looking dim. The weather has held me back on clearing the land in order to mow and if I don't finish my box scraping project before spring sets in then its wait till next winter..