Hydraulic Add For Grapple

/ Hydraulic Add For Grapple #1  

dtd24

Gold Member
Tractor
98 JD 1070
Love this new add to the forum. Helps me with the spelling of hydraulic. hehehe

Any hoot, I was just looking through and I was thinking. I have the rear remotes which I use mostly for my back hoe, and I am getting started on an old customization thread to build a grapple. I'm just wondering the best way to plumb this. I have read all the posts about the electric diverters off the FEL which I like due to the proximity, but I'm thinking I might want to run an electric diverter off rear remotes. That way I could have the hoe and the grapple hooked up, and the grapple wouldn't rob from the FEL during operation.

/ Hydraulic Add For Grapple #2  
   / Hydraulic Add For Grapple #3  
dtd24 said:
Love this new add to the forum. Helps me with the spelling of hydraulic. hehehe Any hoot, I was just looking through and I was thinking. I have the rear remotes which I use mostly for my back hoe, and I am getting started on an old customization thread to build a grapple. I'm just wondering the best way to plumb this. I have read all the posts about the electric diverters off the FEL which I like due to the proximity, but I'm thinking I might want to run an electric diverter off rear remotes. That way I could have the hoe and the grapple hooked up, and the grapple wouldn't rob from the FEL during operation.
I don't think an electric diverter (such as the WR Long) run off an FEL line is really going to "rob anything" in some detrimental way... but I am adding a second rear remote for my grapple because I also want to convert my fixed backhoe thumb to hydraulic someday soon. I looked into rear electric diverters too... the quick & easy install kind... but they were way too expensive. It cost no more to add the manufacturer's second rear remote kit. Could have possibly built one up from scratch for less money, but couldn't devote the time & effort... and really wanted a neat, OEM-like system anyway.

In my case, I already had some monster 1/2" temporary lines to run up front. I wanted custom length smaller lines (3/8"), but I couldn't really justify the cost. In the end, I "stretched" my old lines by using a few choice fittings and adjusting my routing. :)

Dougster

/ Hydraulic Add For Grapple #4  
The only 'robbing' going on is the valve diverts from something. In my case, the curl function. So I can't open/close the grapple and curl at the same time.

-Brian

/ Hydraulic Add For Grapple #5  
n8wrl said:
The only 'robbing' going on is the valve diverts from something. In my case, the curl function. So I can't open/close the grapple and curl at the same time.
-Brian
Hi Brian - I guess my point was... Is this really such a critical difference in an open center hydraulic system without a flow divider? When it comes to my own FEL, I feel I'm pretty much limited to one function at a time unless maybe I max out my engine RPMs. And especially for my grapple, I never find myself with a pressing need to both close and curl at the same time.

Then again, maybe that's just me. As I've said before, I am old and fuzzy... and almost never in a big hurry when it comes to using that grapple! :)

Dougster