Hydraulic auger problem

/ Hydraulic auger problem #1  

trctr155

Bronze Member
Tractor
John Deere 110 TLB
Hello,
I recently decided to purchase a new Danuser EP10 hydr auger with skid steer front mount for mu John Deere110 tlb. I have always used a rear pto 3-point w/ hyd down force in the past. Got an opportunity to try out the new one yesterday. This model based on the front flow of my machine is 12gpm which equates to approx. 60 rpms. Quit slow compared to the old 3point pto model. As far as performance the auger slowly corkscrewed full depth very easy at tractor idle, never even grunting. Plenty of power even in very dry clay/rocky ground. Prob is that I stopped the spin at the bottom then lifted the auger straight out, reversed the auger,etc. Only to notice the hole was completely filled with pulverized spoil. I dropped back in the hole, drilled quickly to bottom, started spinning while letting it dwell hoping the spoils would come out which it really didn't. Pulled up,etc,etc,etc. Did this over and over across about 8 holes(9' auger btw). Only to realize that every hole k=now needed to be manually cleaned out which is ridiculous. The old fashioned 3-point spun much faster which allowed to lift it out while slinging the spoils. The hydraulic units spin very slow which prohibits drawing out the loose dirt. Tried drilling a foot then extracting up then back down incrementally, etc. Didn't really make any difference. My as well be drilling holes at the beach. A heavy investment for the entire system with augers. Very disappointing results. Not sure what I'm missing here on operational techniques. Anyone own one of these that have any input appreciated. Thanks

/ Hydraulic auger problem #2  
Many times idle rpm is not full hydraulic flow

/ Hydraulic auger problem #3  
Many times idle rpm is not full hydraulic flow
Not only many times, it is always.
The quoted hydraulic flow is the theoretical volume of a pump times revolutions. Without any resistance or internal leaks at the pump. As soon as you're adding some hoses, pipes, fittings, bends and worst ist a 90 degree angle, you're increasing resistance in the flow. Which is the case on a loader. Years and hours of service of the the pump causes wear. The pump can't push all the oil anymore it's supposed to go.
But in the OP's case, he needs to bump up RPMs.

Last edited:
   / Hydraulic auger problem #4  
I bet your not spinning the auger at enough flow for the flutes to become full. The dirt is just rolling around the auger.
Why would you run a hydraulic auger at idle any way?

/ Hydraulic auger problem #5  
Not only many times, it is always.
But in the OP's case, he needs to bump up RPMs.

Some of the smaller tractors with variable speed transmissions "idle" at full rpm.

The issue could be something else as well; perhaps the hydraulic lines or couplings are undersized and causing flow restriction? (it is a skidsteer implement after all).

/ Hydraulic auger problem #6  
I run a auger quite a bit on my skid steer digging fence post holes, piers for foundations and up to 36" by 11' piers for setting light poles. Occasionally I run the auger at low speed so I can feel for any obstructions I may be about to drill through (yes, I always call 811). In my area we have a wide variety of soils to deal with. Some of it very dry with lots of small rocks. Some so sticky it won't sling off the auger. When I run into the dry rocky soil, I usually dump a little water into the hole so that it will stick to the auger. Not so much that it turns to mud, just dampen it a little.

Tim

/ Hydraulic auger problem #7  
Hello,
I recently decided to purchase a new Danuser EP10 hydr auger with skid steer front mount for mu John Deere110 tlb. I have always used a rear pto 3-point w/ hyd down force in the past. Got an opportunity to try out the new one yesterday. This model based on the front flow of my machine is 12gpm which equates to approx. 60 rpms. Not sure what I'm missing here on operational techniques. Thanks
12gpm is most likely at rated engine RPM which is 2600.

JD 110TLB.JPG

/ Hydraulic auger problem #8  
That does remind me, (I know it says you have 3 hydraulic pumps) if the implement is sharing the hydraulics with the FEL (instead of auxiliary or using patch lines to the rear hydraulics - using the grapple hydraulic ports comes to mind) it will drop the flow while the FEL is operating.

/ Hydraulic auger problem
Sorry, after reading my initial post I didn't mention that I did ramp the RPM's from idle to about 2500, testing different ranges. I spun alittle faster but surprisingly not much. It's about a rev per sec as the specs from Danuser show. I have always noticed with this machine the hydro's are very strong even at the lower rpm range. Fact is it just isn't nearly as fast as a pto unit which you control with direct rpm's. Allowing you to drill at a slower speed, then at bottom, ramp it up while pulling the 3-point up and down, thus cleaning the hole. had to hand dig each out this morning the old fashioned way, excellent shoulder work out btw. Watch a bunch of vid's last night, seems this is just life in very dry soil this time of year here in NorCal. Spoke with a equipment excavation company today, guy said they pay a guy to follow the machine with hand tools on every hole. Lesson learned, should have kept the old 3-point, never let me down in 30 years.

/ Hydraulic auger problem
12gpm is most likely at rated engine RPM which is 2600.

View attachment 706983
That makes me wonder as I was aware of the the flow rates for the front end loader and backhoe, but the auger is directly hooked up th ethe 3rd function quick connects. I am not sure if they share the same front loader pump or if they plumb of one of the others?? The 3rd fuction control allows flow to both the front and rear auxiliary hydros. Regardless, the auger is turning at the speed Danuser says it should be, but I am curious.