Hydraulic Bush Hog?

/ Hydraulic Bush Hog? #1  

rfc143

Silver Member
Tractor
kubota 5240
Have an old bush hog; about 5 foot. Thinking of building an adapter to go on the end of my KX 040 excavator. Have about 17 GPM I think; not sure of the pressure. If I were to direct drive where the PTO connected, what kind of hydraulic motor would I need to turn five or 600 RPM(pto speed)?

Is this a fools errand?

/ Hydraulic Bush Hog? #2  

They sell mounts for the motor and the coupler from motor to gearbox. I think you also need a relief valve to keep the pro motor from blowing if something stops the blade unexpected ly.

/ Hydraulic Bush Hog? #3  
A 6.5 cubic inch per rev motor will produce approximately 600 RPM with 17 GPM

/ Hydraulic Bush Hog?
Thanks very much! That answers the technical question. Now how about someone weighing in on the second question. A new rotary grinder for the machine is about $16k. It looks like I could fabricate this up, with parts, for $1000-$1200. But will it work for reaching off the side of the driveway and woods trails?

/ Hydraulic Bush Hog? #5  
Depends on what you expect it to do. Small branches brush should work just have to watch how you feed material in. Biggest concern is throwing stuff so you will some type of guards to limit this problem. Other is weight will your excavator handle that weight and rotary twist from the cutter head?

best guesstimate is you will have around 20 -25 HP input into the cutter head.

/ Hydraulic Bush Hog? #6  
Some comments on a motor spool valve vs a cylinder spool valve. The motor spool valve does not abruptly stop the motor as a cylinder valve will do.

MOTOR SPOOL (Also referred to as free-flow).

A spool designed to provide flow from “work” ports to “tank” when spool is in neutral position. This allows a motor to coast to a stop after the spool is placed in neutral position.

A rotary cutter has a lot on inertia/momentum and you do not want the motor coming to an abrupt stop.

Cylinder spool: work ports blocked in neutral. Motor spool: work ports connected to tank in neutral. If using a cylinder spool on a motor you need a crossover relief valve at the work ports.

Dave M7040

• Good Post
Reactions: LD1
   / Hydraulic Bush Hog? #7  
Think you are going to find that 5 foot is way to big for your machine I have a 42" on my 35 Kobelco and it is almost to big the problem is when you are extended out. The 42" from Rutt I have only needs 15GPM and it will cut up to about a2" tree.