Hydraulic cylinder replacement for Gage Rod on IH 1300 sickle mower.

/ Hydraulic cylinder replacement for Gage Rod on IH 1300 sickle mower.
I spent about 3 hours yesterday with some PVC tubing and some zip ties to get all the measurements to check the cylinder. I may have over done this, but I simulated the base cylinder housing and rod using various sizes of pvc piping so they will slide in and out of each other and count for the connection too. The TSC cylinder will work, an so will a 14" stroke one, at least on my mower to just get vertical lift.

However I became concerned with the geometry in the up and bottom position as it looks like extra stress can be put on the balance heads cast connection point, and I could not get much down angle to cut ditch banks without the rod rubbing on the balance head.

So this morning I bit the bullet can called Rowse for their kit. Yep a bit more money, but breaking a casting will more than pay for the extra cost. As I have a tendency to break things, better safe than sorry.

/ Hydraulic cylinder replacement for Gage Rod on IH 1300 sickle mower. #12  
That will be a nice addition to your mower, I had looked hard at them, but just couldn't see spending that much when I had as little in the mower to start with and enjoy the fab work. Post plenty of pics of the install and keep us posted. Next time I get mine out ill post pics and maybe a video of how it works.

Yes I have been mulling this over and searching for about a year. I am getting to the point I cant lift it by hand anymore. I used my deer hoist to lift it up inside the barn to get it to move through all the motions. I had the base on blocks at approximately normal operation height too (made a difference in measurements) It was interesting to find the closest position was not vertical, but just before vertical as the balanced head connection point moved through an arc.

Do you remember tightening up your balance spring tension to get it to work? I put a vice grip on the back side of the gag rod to have it act as a solid connection, like the valve would operate. To keep 24" of clearance, I had to tighten the spring?

/ Hydraulic cylinder replacement for Gage Rod on IH 1300 sickle mower. #14  
Yes I had issues with the balance spring tension too, with the way I wanted to use the sickle, it's design is not to hold the head off the ground it's just to take weight off to allow to float over the ground. I believe the Manual says to adjust till it takes 40 lbs maybe to lift the head off the ground. That's why I completely changed my set up. Factory uses the cable to the draw bar to hold the head off the ground when raised.

A big brown truck dropped off two very heavy boxes from Rowse tonight. What great service. Tomorrow I will check out the parts and start the documentation.

All I ask for when it is done, is that it saves my back, and I don't have any left over parts:laughing::confused2::thumbsup:

/ Hydraulic cylinder replacement for Gage Rod on IH 1300 sickle mower. #16  
Good luck with the install , I'm sure it will do wonders for your back once it's on and working. :)

I opened the box this morning, I cant believe how well this unit is built. No thin metal anywhere. Looks like 1/4" plate or heavier throughout. The included hose is 1/2" SAE 100R16S WP 4000 PSI rated. Talk about not skimping on quality.

I just need for the snow to stop now and have things warme up.

/ Hydraulic cylinder replacement for Gage Rod on IH 1300 sickle mower. #18  
Warmed up yet? It's 95 up here! :)

Interested how this worked out.

Starting today I will get to it in earnest. I had the frame pieces welded in for a while, now to just get everything assembled. I haft to start cutting on the 16th, so it is now or never.

I am going to try and over-serrated knife set first. Ill try and remember pictures as I go.