Hydraulic cylinder

/ Hydraulic cylinder #1  

Lazy

Platinum Member
Tractor
ford 1920 w/fel and bh, case 470, allis chalmers B 1937, JD 450 track loader, Case vac, 3 cub cadets ford lgt 125, Kubota 2230/60 inch mower.1948 farmall cub 1953 farmall cub
How to remove rod from Bucket cylinder, 7108 loader on ford tractor 1920

Attachments

• IMG_20210603_173210490_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20210603_173210490_HDR.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 154
   / Hydraulic cylinder #2  

When I was much younger and worked at a hydraulic repair shop thats the way we did it.
Put her in a vise grab the 4 foot pipe wrench and most times a large cheater pipe.
Sometimes a little heat from a torch helps especially if red loctite was used. Found a lot of gland nuts loctited in.

/ Hydraulic cylinder #3  
Some have diabolical little lock pins hidden under layers of old paint.

/ Hydraulic cylinder #4  

Hard to tell in your photo, but if your pipe wrench grabs the cylinder st all instead of only the nut you are fighting a non-winnable battle. Your photo looks as if this could be the culprit.
If you are positive you are only on the nut and it is a no go with a cheater bar on the pipe wrench, go to heat as locktite is suspect.

/ Hydraulic cylinder
Hard to tell in your photo, but if your pipe wrench grabs the cylinder st all instead of only the nut you are fighting a non-winnable battle. Your photo looks as if this could be the culprit.
If you are positive you are only on the nut and it is a no go with a cheater bar on the pipe wrench, go to heat as locktite is suspect.
Thanks for the reply,
I turned the nut several times enough i thought maybe i had stripped the threads. So, I purchased a book on the loader and this is what it says.

NOTE:
On the 7108 Bucket Cylinder it will be necessary
to drill a hole as shown in the inset, Figure 19. The
dimensions of the hole are:
Diameter - 3/16"
Depth - 9/16"
From end of barrel
After drilling the hole insert a punch in the hole to prevent the gland assembly from turning and remove nut,
2. Use a punch to drive the cylinder head (7), down
into the cylinder barrel to obtain access to the snap
ring. Be careful not to damage the cylinder rod.

/ Hydraulic cylinder #6  
My loader cylinders are like that, but the lock ring came off for me without the gland assembly spinning.
The snap ring is thick wire and stubborn, and really difficult to get out between the rod and bore.
Patience and perseverance, it will happen.

/ Hydraulic cylinder
I noticed the rod was scored so, i just purchased a new cylinder. With shipping it was just under $500.00. i had already purchased the seal kit. So, i now a seal kit should i ever need one. And now i know how to remove the old seal and install the new seal.