Hydraulic Cylinders - Rebuild?

/ Hydraulic Cylinders - Rebuild? #12  
What he said...

Either my dealer is amazing or some dealers are charging too much. A seal kit for the Case 580 is about $20 and I have one part left that fits the later style cylinders. I could probably make it cheaper by just getting the dirt wiper and the U seal but for $20, I just change everything.

/ Hydraulic Cylinders - Rebuild? #13  
Are there any local hydraulic repair companies local to you? when I replaced the seals on one of my cylinders on a snow plow I used to have I did find a company locally that would repair the cylinders

/ Hydraulic Cylinders - Rebuild? #14  
barrel was ruined, and I did tell jd to cancel, reeds hydro shop made me a new one for $180 plus tax, and even called amera-quip equipment mfger of my #7 hoe they even told me they would charge me $300 per cylinder far cry from jd's $570. greg

/ Hydraulic Cylinders - Rebuild? #15  
cabover4us said:
barrel was ruined, and I did tell jd to cancel, reeds hydro shop made me a new one for $180 plus tax, and even called amera-quip equipment mfger of my #7 hoe they even told me they would charge me $300 per cylinder far cry from jd's $570.

Glad that worked out, Greg. I wonder if the cylinder was always scored
inside, or did you get dirt inside it?

/ Hydraulic Cylinders - Rebuild?
Sorry Wayne County Hose.......I got a wild hair up.......I was about to pull the trigger on a new machine and trade the 770 in but the kid at JD misquoted me on a new tractor. Sound to good to be true and it was. I do have a couple guys looking at it this week and if she goes I got my eye on two used ones in NY. If she does not go this week I am going to invest in rebuilding all of my cylinders. I will start by taking one off and taking it to RJ Hydraulics to price up and if it is reasonable I will get them to do the rest. Your point was well taken about the shop rebuild and fluid pressure test. In the long run If I keep the tractor I will go over it with a fine tooth comb and keep her. PS while I was deciding to get rid of her.....I cut a new driveway in.....48 tons of material out and spread at the lower end of our property and 48 tons of 2A limestone in. The old girl worked flawlessly during the two long weekends.:D

JD 770 / 70 FEL / 7 BH - 425 AWS / 54" MMM / 54" FMP

If you falter in times of trouble...how small is your strength - Proverbs 24:10

/ Hydraulic Cylinders - Rebuild? #17  
Whitey, you're back! Glad you found a good shop nearby. It's common practice to replace a barrel or a rod. Usually a lot cheaper than a new cylinder. Good luck.

/ Hydraulic Cylinders - Rebuild?
OK update.....This is for you Wayne County Hose.....I bit and took the backhoe off and took the three cylinders off the boom and dipper stick. The cost for a bench rebuild for parts and labor was $ 68.00 including tax apiece. But the best was I got to tear down the backhoe and inspect all of the working components. The pins were in good shape but I will replace a couple....a couple of grease zerks.....but the big surprise was the condition of the hoses!:eek: I found three that were worn down to the braiding and rusting through! Yikes:eek: But all is not lost a hose maker within six miles. So all in all when done and cleaned up a nice little repair project done by a guy that normally does not spin a wrench for a living.:D

PS. The stabilizer cylinders are OK...got a sway one leaking but that one for another day...dirt is calling.

JD 770 / 70 FEL / 7 BH - 425 AWS / 54" MMM / 54" FMP

/ Hydraulic Cylinders - Rebuild? #19  
Whitey, $68 each? Wow, that is cheap. Truthfully, I don't think I would touch them for $68 each. But, I do pressure test and fill with oil which most shops either don't do or charge extra for.
Thanks for the update, Andy.

/ Hydraulic Cylinders - Rebuild? #20  
almost 8 years later - could you identify the cylinder rebuild shop in tyler? Or any other in north or east texas that will sell individual seals?